SOLVED Unable to Zip a file

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
What file compression program are you using? If you have WinRAR do you not have an "Add to Archive" option?

Also, whether the file is set to "Read Only" or not shouldn't have any effect. That's only for file open.

Reaction score
I do this. I copy to my desktop, change .dmp to .txt and then try and compress. It will not allow me to compress. Am I copying the file to the wrong location.

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
What do you mean by "Copying the file"??

Send To > Compressed Zip Archive won't delete your original file, you shouldn't need to copy the file at all. Where is this file located originally though, since I noticed that it's a .dmp file? Where are you trying to compress it from?

Reaction score
OK,

The .dmp file I am trying to compress is in my windows/minidump folder. It is a BSOD dump file.

I haver tried as you suggested ie Send To > Compressed Zip Archive from this file. And in a number of locations. ie in the original file and from the desktop.

I have also tried copying to the desktop. It won't allow me to copy to deskstop as the original dumpfile but I can change the extension to .txt and then copy.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
What do you mean by "Copying the file"??

Send To > Compressed Zip Archive won't delete your original file, you shouldn't need to copy the file at all. Where is this file located originally though, since I noticed that it's a .dmp file? Where are you trying to compress it from?
Ace, on a W7 computer the dump files are in a systems folder. And the way the send to compressed zip works is to store the zip in the same folder. However the normal user does not have permission that allows them to write to that system folder. You may have taken control of this folder and granted yourself permission but the normal user shouldn't/wouldn't so ...
We always instruct them to copy the dump files to their documents, in which they do have the needed permissions to store the zip file.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
nevica, open your windows explorer to the windows/minidump folder. Holding down the ctrl key, mouse select (left-click) each file you want to copy. Once you have them all selected, position the mouse over one of those selected and right-click. Choose COPY from the list.

Now go to the "my documents" folder and on the right hand side pane of windows explorer, right-click in an open part of the window and select PASTE. Now with the mouse still over these newly pasted files right-click again and select Send to > Compressed (zipped) folder

This should create a single zip file of all the dmp files. Then you go to the forum thread and hit the "Go Advanced" button. In the advanced window click on the paperclip and in the upload window browse for the my documents\minidump.zip file you created. Select OK and upload. close the upload window when it finishes and then write a little message to go with the attachment.

Last edited:

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Ace, on a W7 computer the dump files are in a systems folder. And the way the send to compressed zip works is to store the zip in the same folder. However the normal user does not have permission that allows them to write to that system folder. You may have taken control of this folder and granted yourself permission but the normal user shouldn't/wouldn't so ...
We always instruct them to copy the dump files to their documents, in which they do have the needed permissions to store the zip file.
Yeah, but that's assuming he hadn't copied the dump file from the system root location to somewhere else before he tried compressing the file. That's why I asked, but I noticed it was a .dmp file from his earlier posts so I was trying to clear that up first. Being that it's a ".dmp" file doesn't guarantee that it's always going to be in %systemroot%. The one thing I don't like about solving problems through text lol.

It's definitely a permission issue though, and the lack of the permissions gives the deceiving error for the file not being able to be located. We'll see if you're post solves his issue for now. I can't suggest anything at this point until he replies

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well he ran into another problem and had to reset his CMOS and is back with BSODs in a new thread plus he marked this one solved so I think it is a good time to close this particular thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question