Hello,

I cannot zip a file with command:

send to - compressed folder.

The error message I get is:

File not found or no read permission

I have no su set-up.

Nevica

Reaction score
I have tried 7Zip and I also get the same error message when I try to zip.

No, I have checked and I am the administrator.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If you go to start > control panel > user accounts > under you user name it will tell you whether you are an administrator ( full access to computer files) or a limited user ( restricted access to computer files).

Are you using this computer at home or work?

Reaction score
Also check the file attributes of the file you are trying to compress.

To do this Right Click the file > and uncheck read only . now try it

Reaction score
I have tried 7Zip and I also get the same error message when I try to zip.

No, I have checked and I am the administrator.
Nevica , when you are posting a reply always reply with a new post don't edit the post otherwise it may look like i have posted irrelevant posts. It also will confuse other members who try to help you .I'm referring to the post above where you asked me how to know whether you are the administrator and then you edited it saying " No, I have checked and I am the administrator " Thank you

Reaction score
Ok, I am the administrator. I am using my home computer at home and the file in question is not locked for read only.

Reaction score
Try changing the file extension from .dmp to something like .txt and compress. If it successfully compresses after you extract the file to the desired destination change the file extension back to .dmp

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The file is located in the windows directory which is protected (by default though it can be changed) as part of the operating system so you cannot create the .zip file there. It's possible to tell it to store the output to a different location but probably easiest for you would be to copy the dmp file to your documents folder and then zip it there.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I tried changing the extension but it will still not compress.

Tried a windows update but still no luck.

Nevica

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Changing the extension shouldn't have any effect and the odds of a system problem that happens to be corrected with a windows update at the very time you encounter it are likely astronomical.

As I said, it is likely the location of the file, more precisely the intended location of the zip that is the problem; you either don't have authorization to write to there (most likely reason) or the file is in use (it's possible, try rebooting and see if the problem persists) or there isn't enough HD space (highly improbable).

So, as I mentioned above, either direct the zip output to another location, like your documents folder, or copy the dmp file to the documents folder and try zipping it there.

Reaction score
Hi,

That worked. The next thing I need to sort out are my BSODs. I understand that the resident expert on BSOD is not around at the moment. Is this correct?

Nevica

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yeah, we hope Cybercore is just on vacation because he is missed. The usual BSOD causes are drivers that aren't up to date but he can often read the DMP files and say exactly which ones. You might also check for BIOS updates for your mobo. And try the full power option in power settings.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Off thread, but, I,ve been trying to track down Cybercore, as I come in contact on other forums. His most used forum also has no idea why he suddenly vanished. I think four weeks (or more) is a very generous work vacation!

Hey CYBER. RESPOND????

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me why my minidump file has a lock attached to it. I find it incredibly fiddly and inconsistent when I want to compress dump files.

I have tried many thing like changing attributes by unchecking read attributes and haven'y found a way to easily compress minidump files.

Nevica

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
They are in a system folder which is protected. First copy them to your documents library, then zip them there. The copy shouldn't be protected.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
The only true way to easily zip .dmp files is as TM has said, "copy, paste, zip."

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I would suggest, Nevica, that if you are about to post regarding bsods, that you start a new thread. This one is over a month old and the title will not attract our (new) bsod expert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question