Tricks to speed up W7

Reaction score
3 gigs cosair gammign ram
Pentium D830 3.2Ghz 800FSB
intel 945i Mother board chipset
seagate 250G sata HDD
W7 32 bit OS

any one know any cool tricks for speeding up performance besides ready boost?

Reaction score
What is your WEI rating? (just curious.....)

One of the first things I do is shut off animating the windows. It may being superficial, but at least I FEEL like it's faster.

You have 3 gb of RAM. If you got 1 more gb you could run 64-bit and get the benefits from that, AND you could turn off virtual memory. That would speed things up a tad.

But you've got a sweet setup there.

Me? Not so much:

:embarassed:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If you really want to squeeze some extra performance (albeit only very slightly), you could try using superfetch and disable some services that you might not use. Keeping your system free from lots of startup applications is the best way to make sure it continues to run fast :)

AND you could turn off virtual memory.
I wouldn't recommend disabling virtual memory, as W7 won't use it if it doesn't need it - but it's quite likely you'll run in to problems at some stage if you disable it completely. :)

James M. Fisher

Geezer
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
What Satchmo said....get another GB of RAM and go 64-bit if you can.

Reaction score
Here isa my Cpu- Information

I am unshure how to tell if I have a 64bit capabile chip and mobo in order to do the 64/W7
and here si my score

I wont turn off virtual memory........

but most of my hardware is outdated by at least 3 years........
My new build will be fun guys I am going for the 7.9 score in W7 ratting woot !!!!

Attachments

Reaction score
Your CPU is 64-bit capable. You can tell because it says "EM64T" in the instructions box. That's Intel's name for their implementation of AMD's x86-64 (AMD64) spec.

Reaction score
does disabling virtual memory really help? I remember reading something about this a while back and i'd swear the article said that even with a nice chunk of memory, turning off the virtual mem could still hurt performance. This was a while back though so it might have been talking about people with 2gb (or maybe 4gb) of memory.

I've got 8gb in mine but hadn't thought about turning off the virtual memory, until reading this thread just now.

Reaction score
does disabling virtual memory really help?
Someone correct me if I am wrong

Its my understanding that windows ignores the virtual memory until it is needed. If you do not have virtual memory enabled you then get "not enough memory" errors.

Reaction score
From what i remember of the article, it said that even if you have a lot of RAM, windows will still use virtual memory. I'm pretty sure it said your performance would suffer even with lots of ram and V Mem turned off.

But it's possible i read this before vista came out and they were talking about XP. So maybe the way virtual memory is handled has changed since then.

Reaction score
From what i remember of the article, it said that even if you have a lot of RAM, windows will still use virtual memory. I'm pretty sure it said your performance would suffer even with lots of ram and V Mem turned off.

But it's possible i read this before vista came out and they were talking about XP. So maybe the way virtual memory is handled has changed since then.
I'd go with what Ian said :

I wouldn't recommend disabling virtual memory, as W7 won't use it if it doesn't need it - but it's quite likely you'll run in to problems at some stage if you disable it completely. :)
He has a large cranium, synaptically speaking.:adore:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
If you really want to squeeze some extra performance (albeit only very slightly), you could try using superfetch and disable some services that you might not use. Keeping your system free from lots of startup applications is the best way to make sure it continues to run fast :)

Disabling services worked with Vista. Withe the tweaking that has been accomplished with 7, there is a different method employed. The only benefit from disabling services in 7 would be a small increase in your initial bootup time. As this is a once only operation, it is not worth the effort. Once loaded, the services are not using any resources until requested. This, alone, is the biggest improvement/difference, between Vista and Windows 7.

Ask a Question