thought windows 7 was fast, its so slow it sucks

Reaction score
i finally got my upgrade from hp and installed the 64 bit windows 7 and it sucks. I guess i should say all i heard about was the boot time being so much faster than vista and its much much longer

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
It could just be a matter of the Upgrade causing issues and a 'simple' clean install will fix your problems. Beyond that, there are many tweaks around that can help in this area. From looking at running processes to checking what programs start when windows starts.

From my own experience I found that after doing my clean install, W7 did seem slowish but it seemed to speed up all on it's own before I started tweaking.

Reaction score
You can download a program called Process Monitor which will log second by second the whole boot process so you can see what is going on.For example I found that my boot was extended by 30sec due to a sound driver opening and closing a registry key continuosly.

Reaction score
thanks

i didnt do the clean install becuase i had 64 bit vista, had alot alot alot of hp programs added to the startup gonna change that and go from there thanks all

Reaction score
Overaoll, I have found it to be refreshingly faster. I have installed it on some older machines (clean installs) to get a bit more life out of them. Granted, only one of the older machines is doing heavy lifting and I have not added my full set of applications, and my big multi-core 64ate bit machines will not be migrated to W7. Vista 64 runs just fine on them.

Reaction score
64-bit vs 32-bit performance

I have two identically configured computers. One has the 32-bit version of Windows 7 and the other the 64-bit version. The boot and settle down time is substantially longer for the 64-bit version. The overall performance of the 64-bit verison is less than the 32-bit version.

Reaction score
Hi edterry - Welcome to w7forums

I have two identically configured computers. One has the 32-bit version of Windows 7 and the other the 64-bit version. The boot and settle down time is substantially longer for the 64-bit version. The overall performance of the 64-bit version is less than the 32-bit version.
Did you purchase Windows 7 that comes with two DVD's and installed the 32-Bit to one machine and then the 64-Bit to the other machine?

Or did you purchase two Windows 7 Boxes?

I am curious as to why you have two identical systems but yet you use two different Operating Systems?

Reaction score
Can you use Process monitor to fix the errors that are slowing the system down?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
As has already been suggested, I'd strongly recommend a clean install - just backup everything you need and then go from there :) You'll notice how much faster it is after that.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
I recall there was very similar problems with a few Windows Operating Systems that went down the upgrade road (its not just Windows 7) there are remnants left that can cause problems (so as we see time and time again a clean install will produce the best results)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
A clean install is always the way to go, regardless of the OS. Even Linux Ubuntu is the same way. The old (9.04) allowed you to download an upgrade to 9.10. A disaster. Be sure to backup what you need to a separate media, then do a full (not quick) format, then install, update, and apply your backup files. It would be best to make two backups, one to discs, another to external drive.

Ask a Question