draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
FOLD BABY FOLD!

Awsome job, team!

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I'm thinking of joining this cause, looks like a few dedicated or "devoted" members towards this...

I was going to test this on my Linux distro, as I run Arch and Mint on another computer of mine, but it might take me some time to figure all that out. I don't quite have as great of a CPU on that machine, but lots of RAM. If I got it working on my Mac that would be good.

Last edited:

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I'm thinking of joining this cause, looks like a few dedicated or "devoted" members towards this...

I was going to test this on my Linux distro, as I run Arch and Mint on another computer of mine, but it might take me some time to figure all that out. I don't quite have as great of a CPU on that machine, but lots of RAM. If I got it working on my Mac that would be good.
Folding is pretty much hardware driven. If you are Linux savvy you have a head start.
Ubuntu seems to be the popular flavor for folders not using windows.

We would love to have you contribute to our relatively young team. (just over a year old and climbing.)

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I used this guide to set up cpu folding on linux 11.04
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=976045
go team
Unfortunately I only use Mint and Arch, Ubuntu is horrible in my opinion. You need to have used the other ditro's to know that it's not good. It uses up way more computer resource than it should in comparison to something like Mint. Ubuntu is just the most popular Linux unfortunately. I could test it, or just decide to give up and run this thing on my Windows I guess.

Folding is pretty much hardware driven. If you are Linux savvy you have a head start.
Ubuntu seems to be the popular flavor for folders not using windows.

We would love to have you contribute to our relatively young team. (just over a year old and climbing.)
lol Ubuntu however, is for people that don't know a lot about the other Linux distro's, it's way too bulky. Mint and Arch are better packages, however Arch is a very advanced Linux distro and isn't meant for beginners. Ubuntu is just simple to understand

Here's a screenshot of my old Linux desktop

I've got a AMD Phenom X4, so judging by that I should generate around 2500 - 8200 per day for the team. I set up the team number from the other post you referred me to. But I have a wicked i7 on my other one running Linux.

I'm a part of the team now though.

Last edited:

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I agree and prefer Mint myself. After Windows that is.:D

Last edited:

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I'm not showing up on the team list for some reason on folding. I have already done around 1000 i'm sure, I got it up to 700 and quit, and now it's up to 700 again around.

Reaction score
I'm not showing up on the team list for some reason on folding. I have already done around 1000 i'm sure, I got it up to 700 and quit, and now it's up to 700 again around.
stats at stanford update on the hour
stats at eoc update every 3 hours
You have to finish a work unit, you don't show up at stanford yet http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=userstats search your folding name or team # 186660
I'm downloading mint 11 know but need to install later tonight. I only use the sr-2 to fold with but would still like to see what mint is all about. Do you have any main pointers that you think I should be aware of? Thanks

Last edited:

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Mint is for the visual, but it's also fast, and it's not as bulky on your computer resources as Ubuntu, the rest should be an easy transition. Going from Ubuntu to something like Arch would be a switch for you lol. I hope you'll enjoy Mint though, I haven't got Mint 11 yet, still using Julia 10, but I know that Mint 8 was better than Mint 9.

If you don't know already as well... I like a tool called ailurus, but you need to get the older version which has support for a memory optimization feature that is very very useful. That feature became obsolete in newer versions, and it was the best of all of the functionality embedded in it.

I won't spam this area with a whole bunch of Linux though, but i'll be waiting to see my name in the list for the team ID soon, I checked before, and I never seen it there. I don't even know my own UID yet.

Been running this thing for a while though, so I should have a module done soon I think.

Reaction score
Sorry everyone for not producing any points for the last week. I lost the window ac for the computer room and my rigs went down from the heat:pcguru: ( I was not home at the time). Ended up loosing a psu, ram and mb connector so could not run 3 out of 4 rigs. I think I am back up again we will see. Now onto passing the 500 rank.

Reaction score
Thanks tanner2

I suspected the summer heat may have been giving you issues. :( I hate hearing about your lose, I hope everything is smooth sailing from here on out. :)

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Glad I contributed to at least a couple work units in there lol

Reaction score
Ace, any and all work units are appreciated.

c_c I will be back folding here at the end of the contest at evga (7/30)

Ask a Question