Steam

Reaction score
I don't know if many of you use it, it's not like it's new, but it is a pretty good site/app for games. A lot of people seem to hate it, but i have found it to be a great program for my gaming needs on my laptop.

For those of you who don't already know, Steam is a gaming app/site that you can use to download and install games from, onto your computer with out the need of running to a store and buying it. It's a pretty simple process once you have everything set up. You just browse the games and select once you want and buy it. Once you have bought a game it shows up in your games tab and you install it. A few simple clicks, and your on your way to playing a game. I use my bank card and have never have had a problem. The nice thing is, the games you buy are easily re-installed on a newer system buy downloading the Steam client, and reinstalling the games. All your games info is stored on your steam account. So there is no need to worry about lost or broken disc, or lost cd-keys.

Here is the link for more info
http://store.steampowered.com/

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I agree, it's a pretty slick portal. I've not yet actually bought anything through it, but use it for looking at upcoming games and free demos and since many of my friends use it and the game overlay works even in non-steam games, it's nice for keeping in touch.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I use Steam all the time, it has some great bargains near holiday times :) BioShock was only a few quid in December!

Some new games also authenticate via Steam, so you need to install it to get your game working. IIRC, Modern Warfare 2 did this quite recently.

Reaction score
I administrated an internet cafe on and off over 7 years.
I found that steam even on a small network of 30-40 computers was rather unstable.
At least 5 PC's a month would have a severe issue (Couldn't run steam at all).

Once the STEAM Cybercafe program & server were implemented, the client software started screwing up even more. Often times the cybercafe server was down, meaning none of the clients could play - at least, if i'd allowed it to be used and implmented, it'd be affecting our business. I wasn't stupid enuogh to make 30-40 unstable, dodgy client softwares rely on an even dodgier server.

For about a year before STEAM CyberCafe shut down, the STEAM Cybercafe sevrer was absolutely required and that's what eventually killed the project.

VALVe simply can't code for shit. They proved that in 1996 when they programmed Half Life with an inbuilt command to see through walls - in multiplayer games.

Reaction score
Sorry to hear you've had a bad experience using Steam. I for one have had no problems, and enjoy the Valve game series including CS 1.6, CSS, TF & TF2, and the Half Life games. Sometimes when it comes to online gaming, it just depends on what server you are playing on.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Have not had any issues with Steam since the beta. In fact, Steam was one of the few games that gave me no headaches when migrating to Vista. It's a great platform, although I did have my doubts about it when they first introduced it.

Reaction score
Steam is legendary. All the demos and Metacritic scores help you make a good decision on whether to buy a game, and as Ian says, the bargains are great. Left 4 Dead 2 at only £15!

Only problem I have ever had with Steam is Modern Warfare 2 multi player - but I think that's more due to rubbish servers than Steam.

Reaction score
I love steam, it's the best videogame platform for PC (and mac) by far.

Reaction score
Steam = PC Gaming. It's great that there is one application where my friends are online whenever their PC's are running. It's also great that my games are all at one place. (y)

Reaction score
I've had a quick look at it and it's very nice but i'd prefer to go and buy the hard copy so i can line them up on my shelf and show off :p

Reaction score
Steam is legendary. All the demos and Metacritic scores help you make a good decision on whether to buy a game, and as Ian says, the bargains are great. Left 4 Dead 2 at only £15!
Ive got L4D2 ( oh lucky me ) just for 5 bucks ! With all updates / addones included :D Im,not able to pay 40 or 60 usd for a game , they are quite expensive on Steam , not to mention u recieve nothing , no boxed version , no covers , printed instuctions , the disc , nothing

Ha , as we have Steam user over hear , i thought we can share some guest passes , what do u think ?

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
not to mention u recieve nothing , no boxed version , no covers , printed instuctions , the disc , nothing
That's why I like Steam. If I reinstall Windows, you think I want to be flipping through discs to reinstall my games? I'd rather click the Download button next to each of them and leave Steam to do the rest.

Not to mention it's a pain in the ass to try and get new copies from a game publisher if your original discs are too scratched to use. In many cases you have to buy the game a second time. I'm not down with that. With Steam, I don't have to worry about it. Nor do I have to hunt down publisher's website for updates.

I honestly couldn't care less about covers or printed instructions. I lose those sooner or later anyway, and once I lose the small piece of paper with the CD key on it, I'm SOL to use it again. Besides I don't need instructions as to how to install a game.

Finally, Steam has features that enable you to back up your Steam games on your hard drive or optical media, if you really want to waste the space.

Reaction score
TOTAL WAR holidays on Steam , great sales on all the TW games

Reaction score
hi to all

i have dell latitude when i installed IGI 3 the game is not working properly but when i installed it 2 months ago it was working very well plzz tell me what will b the slution

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question