Startup Software Needed

Reaction score
I'm looking to replace my Startup Defender software. Its paid software but the company is now defunct and I'm looking to find an equivalent software for my computers (Win 7, Home Premium, 64 Bit, plenty of RAM & hard drive space; one laptop, one desktop machine).

What I'm needing is software that will monitor, in real time, any application that tries to install itself on my computer, whether as a program or a registry entry. When it detects such software I want an alert to popup letting me know and having me either give permission to allow it, or telling the computer block / delete it.

Ideally, it will also have an autoblock feature that will enable an automatic block if the software tries to install itself on repeated attempts. And finally, this software would also have an internet search capability so I could search for info on software that wants to run at startup that is unfamiliar to me.

I'd love it to be freeware, but I'm willing to pay for software that can do this. Any suggestions gratefully appreciated. Thank you in advance,

BearPup

Reaction score
Start Up Software

Thank you for responding. I'm aware of WinPatrol, and the reason I don't use it is because I've always felt overwhelmed by everything else it does.

I've been looking for a small, dedicated application to do just this specific task and I may have founded one. I'm currently testing a program called Startup Guard by PrivacyRoot.com.

It sits in the startup tray with a little shield icon and pops up a small window that allows me to OK an application, disable it or delete it entirely. I can also have it "Google" the application for me. The version I'm currently testing is freeware; and I'm awaiting word from the developer as to what 'added' features a Pro (shareware) version would have.

I'll keep people up to date with later posts.

Reaction score
Glad you found what you were looking for. I'm going to try it out as well.

Reaction score
Great. Let me know what your thoughts are after you've tried it out. Post here and I'll do the same.

Reaction score
Nice for those who want it.

Start Up Guard a useful program, dedicated to its purpose. It has a light memory footprint and (as far as I saw) available as a completely product. The GUI is a bit dull and uninviting.
I'd use it, but I have a Activated copy of MacPaw's CleanMyPC. It warns me whenever a program tries to register itself to automatically launch with Windows. It also tells me when a program associates itself with a file type. I can clean away junk files, fix registry, manage the the toolbars and extensions of my web browsers, completely uninstall programs and securely erase files. So I'm sticking with CleanMyPC.

Reaction score
I'm giving Startup Guard a more in-depth trial period! So far I like what I see. It is as you say, light on resources, and it is quick to pop-up its warning, though not as quick as Startup Defender is.

The 2 biggest problems I have with Clean My PC is that it is shareware (Startup Guard is free), and it does more than just serve as a Start-Up monitor - and I already have two applications to keep my PC clean of crapware (too many cleaners can be a bad thing).

Reaction score
As you said, CleanMyPC is Shareware, but since I've bought it, that's not a prob for me. And I don't have any other crap cleaners.

Ask a Question