SSD shopping

Reaction score
that sounds logical....but i dunno...i selected a drive to drive mirror, im not really sure how to guarantee the FULL HDD being mirrored, but ill do it again anyway. cant hurt.

Reaction score
Yeah cool. I just edited my last post about usb sticks, which is important.

Reaction score
Actually it did hurt.booting into my old drive now says my copy of windows isn't genuine,so its technically bricked for use. The new drive,I can boot up with my W7 disc and it can detect the OS installed on it-so I think its mirrored well enough.still won't boot now (I'm replying via my blackberry) neither HDD is useable now. Ontop of this I attempted to just format and install W7 on the new drive to no aval-for some reason it demands some apparently missing device/drivers and won't install.

Reaction score
Thought about it and asked,would seem that the cd/dvd itself has no drivers as opposed to the W7 disc.what do I do now?! Can't install an OS without my cd drivers apparently and can't get the drivers without an OS!!

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Set your DVD as the "First Boot Device" in your BIOS and save. Then reboot with the install DVD in the drive and you'll see: "Press any key to boot from CD/DVD Drive." Do that within 5 seconds and you should be good to go.

Also, unplug any extra hard drives you have until you're done with the new install and then plug them back up to the mobo.

Quit messing with the drive cloning and just do a fresh install. Windows 7 takes the hard drive's info when activation is done along with the motherboard so that is probably why you're having issues.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Dosent work.dvd is already set to 1st boot device and I can get to the W7 installation thing.its just as soon as it starts it says it dosent have any drivers and won't give me any options but to reboot or shutdown...... I'm getting incredibly fustrated at this. Looking around (very slowly via blackberry) I've found 3 apparent fixes for W7 not allowing the dvd to work-all involve regedit or command prompt-none of which worked for me. Did I mention the incredible fustration? :C

I'm trying to do a fresh install now,that's where the driver issues are coming from

Last edited:
Reaction score
Looked around on nearly every forum out there. apparently, its quite a big problem, relating to SATA/IDE DVD connectors. most people have found that their IDE dvds were becoming useless when the installation started. this dosent actually help me at all since im not about to go a buy new parts when the ones i have a working perfectly fine!
SATA DVDs are apparently perfect, but again, dosent help me at all.

will update with any more info that i find. im really ****ed off with micro$oft.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Just FYI:
According to Tekzilla, memory and SSD prices are expected to fall for Christmas 2010.
For the best operation in 100GB range get a sandforce controller based SSD as in OCZ, Corsair and OWC. For 250GB range consider Corsair's but you risk performance hits on heavy writes, this will be minimized with the use Windows trim support.

Last edited:
Reaction score
oooooooops.

hokay, so.
reburnt a new copy, x4 speed, on a DVD RW. worked then. i cant say what works for sure, as different people cite different things as a fix; including a DVD RW instead of R, anything from x1 to x4 write speeds, etc etc.

i went with a velociraptor, since i needed a new HDD soon, couldnt wait till xmas for a rumored drop that may or may not have come.

either way, im set up now, thanks to all for the info and help.

Ask a Question