Spam drops by 20%

Reaction score
Spam drops by 20% after Russia takes down one man
Moscow police said the 31-year-old, who by now has fled the country, was a central figure in the operations of SpamIt.com, a website that paid spammers to promote online pharmacies. SpamIt.com suddenly stopped operating on September 27 and Gusev's house was raided this week. His illegal spam network helped earn his partner company $120 million. With less financial incentive to send their junk mail, spammers reduced their activity by an estimated 50 billion messages a day.
Source link - http://www.techspot.com/news/40897-spam-drops-by-20-after-russia-takes-down-one-man.html

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Wow... $120 Million earned for a partner company via spam - that's a lot of dosh! ;)

I get so much spam now that it's made some of my old accounts are almost un-usable, even with good anti-spam software.

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
It's strange... I've got my email plastered everywhere on the internet (forums, websites, my own websites), and yet, I never receive spam.

Forum spam, is another story...

Reaction score
I used to get loads of spam when I had an easy e mail address. It was (e-mail address removed). An easy one for spammers to find. Since changing it to something which is easy for me to remember, but not at all logical from a spammers point of view, I have no such problems. I NEVER EVER show my e mail address on forums. Anything which needs registering I use a hotmail account for. I have not needed any anti spam software for several years.:D:D:D

Reaction score
I get a little bit of spam and like FC I have my email addy on lots of forums. Seem to only average about 2 spam mails a day which my mail filter catches and learns to stop next time.
Maybe the Internet Provider you use has something to do with it as well.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I ususally don't give out my ISP provided email but the hubbie gave it to 1 person (local non-profit business), just 1 and now we get a spam message about once a week. Yes I know it's not excessive or what have you but I can only guess that the 1 person that has the email must have a virus or malware or whatever that found our email (and I'm sure thousands of others) on their computer and is now spamming it so even if you think your really carefull, they are out there and should have fingers removed for this kind of crap.

Reaction score
The thing is my hotmail acct. gets more spam then my main email and probably less people have my hotmail addy.

Ask a Question