Email Spam Issues

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Over the years, I've had several email accounts. Yahoo was my first (private) one, but the endless spam issue caused me to part company with them.

Hotmail, the email provider of Windows Live Mail program, is the best. Once you mark a message from a particular contact as "junk", it does an excellent job of keeping spam out of your mailbox.

AOL Mail, so far, so good. Having it for only three or four months, it seems to be good too. No complaints as of yet.

Road Runner Email, the same. Have had it a little longer than AOL, no issues to report on them, either.

Opera Web Mail, my second most used email (behind Hotmail), has some issues, some of the same that caused me to dump Yahoo after 6 years of usage. I check some messages as spam, but the same messages return to my email box. The main issue between OperaMail and Yahoo is the severity of the spam, the type of spam that I was receiving through Yahoo involved money scams, usually from Africa, wanting to share an "inheritage" in exchange for vital info, such as my very personal info, SS number, bank acct #, and so forth. On a average day, I received at least a dozen or more of these emails.

The spam that I receive through OperaMail usually involves unwanted products, penis "enlargers" scams, and lots of spam from Ashampoo, from which I tried some products that were free, listed on this forum. The problem is, I check these messages as spam, but still get them. I contacted Customer Service, and received a letter telling me that my issue was a "top priority" with them, but their actions are otherwise.

I don't want to dump OperaMail, they are a good second option for me, but the spam issues concerns me. Is there more that I can do? I realize that free email accounts are just that, but there ought to be some basic services there, and an enforced spam policy.

What can I do here? Please don't suggest GMail, as it's well known on this forum that I don't want any of their software, period.

All suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Cat

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
Talkin about GMail (OK, you weren't!!) I tried to open an account a couple of weeks back but gave up when I had to give my mobile number for my account verification info to be sent to. I'll add here I was in a rush at the time and didn't see any other options, like, an alternative email. Two points, (a) I don't hand out my mobile number. (b) What happens if you don't have a mobile?

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I set up my gmail about 2 years ago. That was not a requirement back then. If it was, I would have passed. I like gmail otherwise.

Road Runner, I find clunky and hard to navigate. My account has a 100MB limit.????Crazy. Hardly any spam gets through.

I get more spam on Hotmail than any other but its sent straight to the junk folder.

Aol? Shmay-ol. Screw them.

Years ago I had a Netscape Navigator account that I liked also.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I do get spam on Hotmail, but as yodap stated, it almost always goes to the "junk" folder. Sometimes, they're a little overprotective, they even placed a couple of emails from TechNet (a M$ program) into the junkbox.

Fortunately, I got rid of my worst one (Yahoo). I don't use AOL or RR enough to see how well their filters are, but some has told me that AOL will load you up, if you give it out a lot. I only use those two for certain purposes, where I don't want pleasure mixed with business, and my spouse has never seen them.

If only I could get OperaMail spam filters to work good, I'd be happy. I'd have two Hotmail addresses, but the point of having Opera is if one goes down, I have another reliable one.

And no email service, unless it's a paid one, will ever get my cell phone number for any reason. I'm not using my 450 minutes per month on junk calls, and text messages. I already get enough of them from Verizon.

Cat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Why don't you just create another hotmail account or a live account (SSDD), since you seem to like them. Personally I have 4.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I already have two Hotmail accounts (one used only for Facebook). I'll probably create a third, and a second OperaMail account. OperaMail isn't that bad, it's just when you sign up for "free" programs, you get a never ending string of unwanted spam, along with what you really wanted. And of those programs that I did initially install, today I have none of them.

So I'll leave the one account "as is" and create another, and only share it with those who has a policy against lending or selling your info. That way, I'll have a couple of clean email accounts.

Many says that paid ones are the best, especially for businesses, are far more reliable and all, but just like AV's, I've never paid for email service. One exception, RR Email is not exactly free, but is offered as a extra by my paid ISP. I may use them a little more, to see if they're any good. But I can only hope that it's any better than the free AV (CA 2010) that they gave me. The 64 bit version was a true piece of crap.

Thanks to all for your opinions.

Cat

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I started using my own domain(s) in the 90's and have never looked back. I'll leave Hotmail to people who want spam and inflexibility...

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
Currently I have 2 Hotmail accounts and 2 Yahoo accounts. Obviously the 1st accounts are for websites and such where I know I'll get spammed and the 2nd ones I never give to anyone (unless they are trustworthy, never give out emails) and are spam free.

I have one email given by my ISP and even though it's only been given to maybe 5 people I trust, it still gets spam from time to time because these people are not as mindful about how email works and end up having their email contact lists taken by the spammers who in turn hit me.

Reaction score
. My account has a 100MB limit.????
i have an email account which was set up with school its hosted by gmail and has a 8Gb limit! but the funny thing is that gmail (mail.google.com/mail/ ) its self is blocked... i say LOL :)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Currently I have 2 Hotmail accounts and 2 Yahoo accounts. Obviously the 1st accounts are for websites and such where I know I'll get spammed and the 2nd ones I never give to anyone (unless they are trustworthy, never give out emails) and are spam free.

I have one email given by my ISP and even though it's only been given to maybe 5 people I trust, it still gets spam from time to time because these people are not as mindful about how email works and end up having their email contact lists taken by the spammers who in turn hit me.
I believe that's a lot of the problem. When you import lists (or your trusted contacts do) to your a new (or another) account, the spam cycle begins again. Slowly but surely. Unfortunately, there's little that you can do about the actions of others, except not give it out at all.

Cat

Last edited:

Ask a Question