SOLVED Samsung SCX-4100 will not scan

Reaction score
HI TrainableMan, I HAVE EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM. printer scx4100 works fine but scanner. do u still have this driver available, pls send us link.
many thanks

Reaction score
well, upon d/loading it is asking to remove printer driver. is this what is supposed to do?
i did it before & print d was remvd and it took me long time to install again.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I don't have that type printer/scanner so I have no first-hand knowledge of running the exe.

If you say "No" to unloading the printer driver what happens?

Reaction score
it quits. last week when i used this, it removed my printer driver & it took me 1~2 hour to re install it.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well whenever you are changing drivers it is a good idea to create a restore point first, that way if something goes wrong you can recover. To do this, hit the taskbar start orb and in the search field type restore point. Run "create a restore point".

To recover from a restore point, search for restore point and run "restore system files and settings from a restore point".

So if you cannot get these drivers to work then it may be time to buy a new printer/scanner.

Reaction score
u know what, i love this printer, its speed+consumption+shape is just what i need, so i will carry on my search to make the scanner work.
thanks by the way

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Then I would create a restore point and then try to install this driver and I guess let it uninstall the printer driver to see if it installs a new one and fixes your scanner as well, knowing you must Restore if it messes up your system.

Reaction score
samsung scx-4100

hi again, i installed the smarthru software, it run correctly, it is working with MF printer for everything except scanner. i.e. i put a doc on its glass, ask it to copy it thru smarthru, it did. i printed a photot using smarthru, it did, i opened image and it showed and printed it but when it comes to scanner, it says could not find it or open it. well first i thought it was my printer whose scanner was malfunctioning but if this was the case, the copier won't work as well. and same issue is with other users.
anyway, have written to samsung people and see if they can help, meanwhile posting here wondering if someone would turn up with a solution.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Scanner drivers are different from printer drivers. If the link to the scanner driver Nibs provided HERE doesn't work for you then I'm afraid I do not have an answer.

And as I have said before, the copier function is self-contained within the hardware and does not use any computer drivers at all, so do not compare the copy function to anything done by the computer.

Reaction score
well, i have just tried this link (after uninstralling prev version) and its not the good link coz it did show it is installing the smarthru but after it finished i can't see smarthru software anywhere on my pc and i am just fed up. so i guess i will reinstall the smarthru i had before and if its not working, see if i get response from samsung guys OR i am chucking this printer in bin

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
A driver is not the same as software, although sometimes they come packaged together. You need the driver to make the device functional; in fact for a printer and scanner combination you need two drivers.

Windows 7 includes some basic scanning software which should work if you have the scan driver installed. Type "Fax" in the Start-search box and select "Windows Fax and Scan" (if it doesn't show up then enable it in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features ... Turn windows features on and off ... scroll down & expand Print and Document Services ... check Windows Fax and Scan).

Once Windows Fax and Scan opens click New Scan. See this Microsoft video demonstrating Scanning w/ Windows Fax and Scan. Unfortunately others in this thread said that Windows Fax & Scan shows the scanner once the driver is installed but that it gets an error every time they try to use it with that printer/scanner.

I personally do not know if the smarthru software is compatible with W7 or not but from what has been said in other posts the original poster says he did get it to work and his problem was solved, it may make a difference if you have 32-bit or 64-bit because they normally use different drivers (although both happen to come in this same install routine). Or maybe, for you, your Windows Fax and Scan will work if you get the scanner driver installed, so please at least try that as well.

Last edited:
Reaction score
well, its all sorted now as i hv rcd reply from samsung tech support and they provided me with a driver which worked. so if i can summarised my solution as below:
I downloaded smarthru4 software from samsung website.pls note that this is in addition to the universal print driver http://www.samsung.com
i downloaded scanner driver (to work with the above smarthru4 software) form the following link
http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.c...0910/20091020133510281/SCX-4100_Win7_Scan.exe
then i was able to scan easily and tell you what it is a very sophisticated software for scanning and you will enjoy it.
if you have any further queries, just open this link to chat with samsung tech support http://goo.gl/H0uf0or send them email using their web form. these guys are quiet helpfull and their help is to the point.
if this solution works for you let me have a smiley...

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
That's great. And thank you for posting the link they gave you.

Ask a Question