SOLVED Samsung SCX-4100 will not scan

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Antivirus software, malware software, firewall, browser add-ons, and some ISPs or even some countries block certain sites and/or file transmissions. All I can tell you is that the link is still valid.
@ FileServe
Disable your AV & your firewall, run your browser with no add-ons and it should work for most people. If not then perhaps try a friends computer.

If you send me a private message with your email address I can try to send it as an attachment but many email providers block files over a certain size (this one is over 5mb) and many also block files with an exe extension so I can try to send it or I can rename it to exb and try to send that (then you rename it to exe once you get it).

Reaction score
trouble getting scanner to work Samsung scx-4100

I have tried all the above links and it still doesn't scan. I am operating a Windows 7 32bit operating system. Is there different drivers for a 32 bit system?
thanks Carol

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yes there are normally different drivers for 32 and 64 bit but, in this particular case, the EXE provided by the manufacturer is supposed to detect and install the correct driver for your version.

When you say you tried all the links could you please clarify. Were you able to download the file SCX-4100_Win7_Scan.exe? If it was downloaded then what happened when you ran it? It should have created a C:\Temp\SCX-4100\Disk1 Folder on your harddrive. And then it should run Setup.exe from that folder.

Try going to the C:\Temp\SCX-4100\Disk1 folder and running setup.exe yourself.

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
What do you mean "it's not on the list" ? What list?

Turn on your printer/scanner. Go to the Program List and find the Accessories and open Windows Fax and Scan. Try New Scan and see what happens. Does it say no scanner found or what?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ok i have gone and looked every where it is not showing I have a scanner driver. When I do the scanner download it shows as a printer download.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
What happens when you ...
Turn on your printer/scanner. Go to the Program List and find the Accessories and open Windows Fax and Scan. Try New Scan and see what happens. Does it say no scanner found or what?

Reaction score
this is so frustrating, still nothing. I had my neighbor come over who thought he could get it to work and he had no luck either. He is contacting Samsung, as their drivers are mislabled.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Define Still Nothing. I need you to actually answer my questions if you want help. When you open Windows Fax and Scan and hit New Scan what is the exact message?

Reaction score
A problem prevented the document from being scanned. Please try again, or for troubleshooting information, see Help and Support or the information that came with the scanner.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It sounds like the driver IS installed but that either it is not the right driver for your equipment or there is some other problem.

Go to Control Panel\Device Manager and go down to Imaging Devices. Is your scanner listed there? Right-click on your scanner and select properties. What is the Device Status?

I'm afraid these older devices are very often left to die off because the manufacturer wants to sell new ones. Cheap printer/scanners can be purchased for as low as $25 that are Win7 ready. If you cannot get a proper driver from Samsung then you may need to consider that option.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
And if you go into windows Fax & Scan and choose Tools ... scan settings is your scanner listed there?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Then the driver is installed and even recognized. Have you tried rebooting your computer since it installed? When was the last time you used the scanner? Could it be damaged? If it still doesn't work after reboot then I'm sorry but at this point I don't know what to suggest other than contacting Samsung to see if they can help.

Reaction score
I've rebooted multilple times with the scanner connected and unconnected. thanks for your help.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
So it connects but it will not scan without errors?

Reaction score
Samsung SCX-4100

Good morning.

Just wanted to reiterate my gratitude to the pair of advisers early on in this thread. My samsung is still scanning successfully.

I did try using the Windows Fax and Scan (WFS) program (in accessories) as advised, but that didn't work. Error message was 'No scanners were detected'. The SCX-4100 is listed (and ticked as the default printer) in Control Panel, so I don't know why WFS is failing to detect it. But it doesn't matter to me because I can still scan using my Smart Thru software.

Reaction score
Apologies - I should have added to that last post that I did follow ALL of the original advice about the Windows Fax and Scan program (ie, I did make sure that this feature was checked as available using the control menu / programs and features). Cheers.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Thank you Iwrpy. So careless, if your scanner came with scanning software you might try installing that and see if this driver allows that software to function with your scanner.

Ask a Question