RSS Feed about CNet links to EasyBCD

Reaction score
I received a RSS Feed from NeoSmart titled "Open Letter to CNet"
It has recently come to our attention (original story, HN discussion) that the recently updated EasyBCD listing on CNet/Download.com no longer links directly to an official setup package but rather to an “CNet EasyBCD Installer” which bundles certain 3rd party products and viralware (others are referring to it as malware, we will refrain from doing so) and attempts to pass it on to our end users as part of the EasyBCD experience.

Unlike some of the affected open source software that is listed on CNet, EasyBCD does not use a copyleft license that lets companies and individuals do whatever they want with EasyBCD and repackage it in whichever manner they choose. In fact, in the past whenever we were asked why one of the most popular freeware products available online was not open source, we have repeatedly insisted that the ability to maintain control over the distribution and packing of EasyBCD to ensure an ongoing comfortable and friendly user experience has been our number one reason.

CNet is of course not the only download site using these so-called “downloaders” to bundle unwanted software that unsuspecting users would normally not install. They are, however, one of the largest and prior to this, also one of the more respected download entities. As of today, we shall be contacting any and all companies and sites that use custom “installers” to download/install EasyBCD as this is in direct violation of the EasyBCD license.

While this could not come at a less opportune time, with EasyBCD currently being the 11th most popular download in the System Utilities category on Download.com, we feel that maintaining a fluid and smooth end user experience, uncluttered by various intrusive softwares, is a tradeoff well worth making in order to never be associated with an unsavory experience in the minds of our users.

NeoSmart Technologies would be thrilled to maintain our listings for EasyBCD and other NeoSmart products on Download.com, and we have historically directed many users there to get their downloads. As such, our offer is simply as follows:
  • If CNET and other download companies wish to continue, as they did at one point, hosting EasyBCD on their own servers, then it must be in unaltered, unmodified, and non-bundled form.
  • If CNET and other download sites do not wish to host the setup package themselves, then they should hotlink the latest version of EasyBCD directly from our servers. The direct download links provided in our PAD files always permit the hotlinking of the latest version of our software, providing direct access to the downloads in question.
  • If CNET and other download companies are not willing to refrain from bundling EasyBCD with any other package, installer, downloader, or other non-authorized bundleware nor willing to link to EasyBCD off of our official download servers, then we must unfortunately and with much regret demand the the immediate delisting of all NeoSmart products being provided in anything other than their virgin installer package as it was originally created.
The latest versions of the EasyBCD installer, as well as those of our other popular software and products, are all digitally signed by NeoSmart Technologies. In short, any download for a NeoSmart product must make available the untampered, digitally signed installer as it was originally released by ourselves. Authentic NeoSmart setup packages can be recognized by means of the following digital signature when viewing the file properties:

We are sorry to have to be making these demands, but are left with no other choice as we have always and forever prided ourselves in providing top-notch quality products and a wonderful user experience. We constantly turn down very lucrative and alluring offers to bundle EasyBCD with other “unwanted products” in exchange for rather princely sums of money. Fortunately, our custom, non-GPL/non-opensource license for these softwares allows us to stipulate and demand that download partners conform to our distribution policies. We look forward to updating this post soon with the good news that CNet and others have complied with our terms of distribution. A copy of this request has been filed with Upload.com support under case number 111205-000208.

In the meantime, anyone looking to obtain EasyBCD and other freeware or shareware from a download catalog should look at Softpedia (our EasyBCD listing there) and FileHippo (not currently hosting EasyBCD) as good alternatives. In fact, both have text on their site indicating that they pride themselves in providing clean and non-intrusive downloads to original and unmodified packages. We also advise any other freeware authors and developers hosting their files with Download.com to double-check and make sure that their users are not being taken advantage of unawares, and to follow suit if necessary.

Update (11:05 AM CST): We have just received an email from CNet informing us that they are no longer using what’s officially called “CNET-Installer” for our products. As such, we have no problem linking to the EasyBCD listing on Download.com once again.

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is why I do not like download sites regardless of who they are.

If you are going to download software, download the software from the source.

It's bad enough that the author packages such garbage in their installer. It's even worse when a third party Download Site adds the garbage to the installer.

CNet has a big name for themselves but yet I never have trusted them for some reason. Seems my patience and intuition has paid off. I know for certain I will be avoiding CNet for all my downloads from this day forth.

Elmer BeFuddled

Resident eejit
Reaction score
CNet has a big name for themselves but yet I never have trusted them for some reason. Seems my patience and intuition has paid off. I know for certain I will be avoiding CNet for all my downloads from this day forth.
Strangely I've always been of the same mind, always preferring Softpedia, or even softonic, over C-Net especially if the author directs you to 3rd party sites.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
I remember when I first started surfing the net (back in the old days; 2001-2002) and trying out free programs, I did go to CNet quite alot but after getting more than a few cruddy add-ons, gave them up as garbage.

I tend to use FileHippo 1st and Softpedia/MajorGeeks 2nd if I'm being a bit lazy to go to the program creators website

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Now that is sneaky... I would normally download things direct from source (mainly to get an up to date version), but I never thought that somewhere like CNET would start bundling junk with 3rd party apps :(.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I've had no problems with Cnet, except that I cannot unsuibscribe from there email advice. The link does not seem to work. -Good one!!

Ask a Question