Replacing the RC

Reaction score
I have been running the W7 Ultimate 32-bit RC for some time now on my Lenovo desktop and love it. So I am now planning to buy a full license to replace the RC.

I have no real need to the Ultimate version and as I have a laptop running W7 Professional, I thought I would install the same version on the desktop so that I can network the computers happily.

Can someone please tell me if any problems are to be expected when downgrading from the Ultimate RC to the full license Professional?

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
No there won't be any problems except for the fact that you'll have to do a clean install. It is not possible to change from the RC version to RTM version without a clean install.

Since you'll have Windows 7 Professional on two computers, you need to have TWO separate product keys. One for each machine. If you already have an RTM version on the laptop, then you'll only need to get product key for the desktop.

I would recommend that you just buy an OEM version of 7 Pro. It's about $109-119 from online retailers. It's a full version, just no M$ support since OEMs are for system builders.

Good choice on the Pro version, most users don't need the few extra features that Ultimate offers for a larger sum of money. I just don't see the benefits.

Reaction score
OK, thanks for that. I was aware I needed 2 licenses, but good to know I can use the OEM version.
Cheers
Graeme

Ask a Question