Registry Problem

Reaction score
I am trying to install a OEM Windows 7 Pro on a new system build. Keep getting this message "windows could not update regisrty data in the installation". Any ideas as to how to fix this problem.

Thank you!!!

Reaction score
What mode you choose to format the drive i.e. quick format or Complete format, alter in both options and see if its working.
What's the exact make and model of your hard drive? is it the new one?

Most prominent solution: While installing your W7, at 'installing updates' stage, click on 'Not to update during installation'.

Hope it helps!!
Oliver

Reaction score
Windows 7

There is no option for not installing updates. Is it possible my Windows 7 dvd is bad?

Reaction score
Questions:=
1),From where you download or burned that DVD. Perhaps, you can try burning another DVD one more time?

2),Have you any previous version of Windows installed on your PC i.e., WinXP, Vista etc. and migrating from one to other?

3). Have you tried all the steps mentioned in the above steps?

For detailed discussion with complete tutorial, you can follow the steps mentioned in the thread below:
https://www.w7forums.com/windows-could-not-update-registry-data-installation-t891.html

If the problem still persists, post back with your status in your next reply after trying the different DVD than you've currently.

Hope it helps
Oliver

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
What happens if you format the hard drive before you attempt the install?

Reaction score
Tried formatting but still get the same message. Notice that the hard drive makes a bauble clicking noise. The hard drive is brand new so I wouldn't think it failed.

Reaction score
Are you booting from the DVD, in which you must change the boot order in your BIOS to CD/DVD drive. Once you've done that and you boot from the 7 OEM DVD you should see some options as to which drive and you click on one then you should see the option to format.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/tipstricks/ht/bootcddvd.htm

a good video to support above link....

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]mME9VLT7-xw[/MEDIA]"]Formatting and Clean Install of Windows 7 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well hardware failure isn't what comes to mind, especially if it let you format. But check your BIOS and see if the HD is detected. Maybe it is set up for RAID or something.

Afraid I don't have any good ideas.

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Try burning a Parted Magic disc and partitioning & formatting the drive from there. If you can't access it from PM then, based on that clicking sound, it's probably failed. The clicking, especially if there's a persistent rhythm to it, likely means that the head assembly is moving back and forth across the platter, unable to read the disc, probably due to failed controller circuitry.

Ask a Question