Programs sometimes don't open?

Reaction score
Right click any column heading, then add columns, in one of the process tabs, I/O read I/O write. Better yet, click file show all processes after you've added the columns, then save them and upload the .txt file.

Reaction score
Yeah, but avast has been a really good virus program for me and Essentials says I have to uninstall it if I want to use it. Plus if I get rid of ZA what would I use as a firewall? Windows firewall stinks.

Reaction score
Right click Private Bytes, then add columns and continue on.
I located the Private Bytes tab, but I'm lost in all the tabs that pop up. Not sure what to do. Plus I'm not sure how to do, "... file show all processes after you've added the columns, then save them and upload the .txt file" Can you explain more about that? I have nothing for "show all processes" under File.

Last edited:
Reaction score
After clicking choose columns, click Process Performance and then tick I/O Reads/Writes and I/O Read/Write bytes. Click OK.Then click File, Show All Processes, then click Save.

Reaction score
When I click File I have no Show All Processes, but I turned on those other columns and saved it.The text file is attached.

Attachments

Reaction score
Nothing out of place. Replace Avast with MSE, the in msconfig, stop the acrobat tray from loading and wacom if you don't need it.

Reaction score
I uninstalled avast using their uninstall utility in Safe mode. I also did the same for Zonealarm. I made sure there were no traces of either program left, then I installed MSE. I noticed one thing right away after rebooting - I got to the desktop a lot faster.

I checked out that link that TorrentG provided for the firewall utility. Not sure about that. Is there someplace to learn more about configuring Windows firewall, aside from this program? And also how to properly set up MSE? I know that ZA and avast had one.

I hope you are all right about replacing these programs. I was used to avast and ZA and I hope these new ones do just as good or if not better.

Thanks for all your help. You've been the best :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Opinions will vary between users but MSE will play nicely with most Anti-virus programs. Look for some of the various free download versions, try them and if you don't like them you can just remove them again.
Personally I run MSE and AVG together without issue.. MSE also works fine with Kaspersky. Remember though that no two computer configurations are identicle and everyones experience will be be a little different.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm pretty happy with the boot times now. Before I switched to MSE it took me about three minutes or more to reach the desktop. I've been doing some reading on MSE and it gets good reviews. I will never go back to AVG. That's why I had avastHome; it's much better than AVG,

Thanks for the help everyone. I appreciate it. I asked about this in three Windows forums and this was the only one where I got any replies.

Reaction score
lol I saw your thread on one of those sites and new it probably was ZA. I was lazy and didn't post about it there.

Reaction score
Torrent, you lazy sod (lol). As of today I'm noticing a huge improvement in my PC performance. Boot times have been drastically improved and there's no more sluggish behavior, even when surfing the Web.

Thanks everyone :)

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
desktop, welcome to the forum! As the other members have already stated, and you've already found out, MSE is really good. I was a Avast user myself, still am with Win 2K. A really good backup scanner that doesn't use resources, unless you are manually scanning it, is Malwarebytes. It's free and effective against malware.

I hope that you enjoy the forum, and find it a great place to learn.

Cat

Reaction score
hello desktop,
thanks for giving w7 forums your question,as already mentioned welcome here it's agreed by trailing all these AV's AVG,&Avast work better than Norton's 360 (my personal view only)& I give MSE the rating it deserves 10/10.I also have malwarebytes which you can run once a week Just to make sure everything is as it should be.I am glad that you also see improvements in boot times,when I took Norton's off my other Hewlett & Packard it was at least a 50% improvement in booting as well surfing the net.Enjoy this website you will be happy that you found it there are some very experienced members here you will find that are every bit helpful in many ways.

regards
jeffreyobrien

Reaction score
Cat, Jeffrey - thanks for the welcome. I have been using Malwarebytes for a while now. My niece turned me on to it. Young people these days know more than us old timers, lol.

Something more amazing than MSE is Windows 7. I can't believe I use the word "awesome" whenever I describe this OS to someone. Back when I built this computer I'd been hearing a lot of good things about Win7. I took the upgrade test and my computer passed so I went down to WalMart and bought Win7.

Since installing the OS (the 64-bit version) I've noticed a huge improvement. I'm an illustrator and I use large graphics programs (like Illustrator and Photoshop) and running Win7 these programs seem faster and more responsive.

Looks like MicroShaft finally got something right.

Reaction score
The problem is not to do with ZA.

I get this problem all the time! I have a decent laptop and it usually occurs when I am using a mixture of live mail, i-tunes, Photoshop, Maya and Director simultaneously! At the moment I have all of them running including skype but now I can't re-open photoshop, hence finding this forum.

I've worked out the problem though.

It probably only happens if a program has previously been open in the session. For whatever reason, the program either didn't properly close or is struggling to start. Simply go for the classic ctrl + alt + delete and go into the task manager. In the processes tab will be the program you have trying to open and it will be using all the cpu. End the task and then you should be able to re open the program as normal!

Reaction score
I hate to resurrect this thread again, but I am encountering the same issue I described in my first post here. I do not have ZA anymore and I am using MSE. I have scanned everything even using Malwarebytes and SpyBot and it comes up clean. I tried everything and even went into Task Manager and ended the program process. Still I can't get the program to open. It is Font Agent Pro 4.

The odd thing is this program was working fine two days ago. I sure don't want to reformat so that's why I thought I would ask here again, in case someone has anything new to offer.

Ask a Question