Private messages

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I am an IE user. Recently, when I tried to delete some PMs, I got this message "
Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window."

Pushing the back buttom returns me to the opening (index) page, where it show no new posts. clearing the site and relinking, brings me back again, but shows the PMs still intact but no new posts?

If I then try with firefox, I am able to delete the PMs, and new posts shows , for example today, 25 unread posts.

It is only happening on this site. Any ideas? I have tried a few customising options in IE, without change.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
vBulletin contains a random security hash on pages where data is submitted (i.e. making a search or performing actions on PMs) - this is to stop people embedding links which could perform sneaky actions.

It could be that the page was left open for quite some time, or a cached version loaded for some reason, and that this security token expired. If you log out and then back in again, it should start you from afresh :).

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Curious! I have tried to see, in the options, why FF can cope with this but IE not. Nothing there.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Is it still doing it in IE? If so, the problem may indeed be deeper - I thought this was probably a one-off issue. I'll do some testing and see if I can replicate this in IE :).

edit: Just tried deleting a PM I sent to a test username in IE9, but it seemed to work ok.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Its worse but, before you waste yr time, I'll reinstall IE. Ie now says there are no new posts to read. FF, immediately after, finds them!

Later: That didn't work. Trying some other options

Still Later. Reinstalled my image. All is working now. - I'll never know!

Last edited:

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Hm, could've been a bad cookie or cache issue. If it ever happens again, make sure to clean out all of IE's cookies and temp internet cache before ya resort to a reinstall!

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Tks Kougar, but I do that on avery regular basis. It was the first thing I tried.
Ian. If you still want to have a look. The problem is still partial on IE, so I am using FF to write this.
The opriginal problem stared after my last post in this thread. I an now see new posts with IE but, whenever I open this thread, and only this one, the whole page starts oscillating. It is impossible to stop with mouse or key movments. All other threads are intact.
As I say it is just, maybe, for you curiosity. Otherwise, what I will do in a couple of days, using FF, is delete the post and rewrite it elsewhere in the thread and see if the problem goes away.

P.S. Forget it. I could't wait! lol. I reloaded an even earlier image (Acronis) and the problem has totally gone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ian

Ask a Question