Patch Tuesday

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Try this Cliff.
Go to Start/Control Panel
Click Programs and Features
Click on Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile and then select Uninstall/Change (at the top).
Select the ‘repair’ option and click ‘next’. You’ll see the green progress bars slowly repairing your system.
Go back to Windows Update so click Start/All Programs/Windows Update and select ‘check for updates’.
The Net security update will appear but should install as expected .

Reaction score
The repair didn't work so I tried the uninstall and received the same error.

NET 4 failure.png

Everything else is updating and installing so why am I receiving a error with only .NET 4?

I've not lost activation, I might would understand this if I was somehow deactivated.

Reaction score
Following the error above I looked in the log file and read I needed to delete this file.

"C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\SetupCache\Client\netfx_Core.mzz"

After deleting the file and then trying the repair again I receive this message in the log file.
OS Version = 6.1.7600, Platform 2
OS Description = Windows 7 - x64 Home Premium Edition
CommandLine = "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\SetupCache\Client\Setup.exe" /repair /x86 /x64 /parameterfolder Client
TimeZone = Central Daylight Time
Initial LCID = 1033
Using Simultaneous Download and Install mechanism
Operation: Repairing
Package Name = Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile Setup
Package Version = 4.0.30319
User Experience Data Collection Policy: Disabled
Number of applicable items: 4
Exe (C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\SetupCache\Client\Windows6.1-KB958488-v6001-x64.msu) failed with 0x240006 - (null).
MSI (C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\SetupCache\Client\netfx_Core_x64.msi) Installation failed. Msi Log: Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile Setup_20101016_051901506-MSI_netfx_Core_x64.msi.txt
Exe (C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\SetupCache\Client\SetupUtility.exe) succeeded.
Exe Log File: dd_SetupUtility.txt
MSI (C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\SetupCache\Client\netfx_Core_x64.msi) Installation failed. Msi Log: Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile Setup_20101016_051901506-MSI_netfx_Core_x64.msi.txt
Final Result: Installation failed with error code: (0x80070643), "Fatal error during installation. " (Elapsed time: 0 00:03:14).

Reaction score
Update:

After deleting the file mentioned above, I was not able to do a repair. However I was able to un-install .NET 4 and then re-install.

I am happy to report that after this process the update finally installed. :)

I was hoping Windows Update would have fixed it. Thanks davehc for giving me a little push toward the repair install. :)

Reaction score
Cliff,

I experienced a similar problem with that infernal .NET 4 update, but after I noticed that I already had .NET 3.51 installed, and most importantly, everything was working fine, I not only deleted it, but also hid it from view so that it wouldn't keep bugging me during future updates. I'm not sure what it is with that particular update, but I have read on this forum and others that many people have some sort of installation issue with it, so I'm not going to update it for now.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Threads like this one make me appreciate ACRONIS even more. Any problems and in goes an earlier mirror image.:D

Fire cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Threads like this one make me appreciate ACRONIS even more. Any problems and in goes an earlier mirror image.:D

Me too - or rather Macrium...

PFFT, I hate threads that are longer than 3 pages, and aren't stickies. For example, I NEVER look at that "Windows 7 Freezing" thread that's like 15 pages long... It's so complicated to understand where to start.

Reaction score
OK - I have another update

I recieved another broadcom update in Windows Update tonight. After I installed the update, the update that I had hidden finally installed.

Happy to report that all updates have been installed, there are no hidden updates. :)

Microsoft must be reading my post. Well they could be. LOL

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Me too - or rather Macrium...

PFFT, I hate threads that are longer than 3 pages, and aren't stickies. For example, I NEVER look at that "Windows 7 Freezing" thread that's like 15 pages long... It's so complicated to understand where to start.

I really do agree with that one. It does seem, on examination, that the "freezing " threads have, ultimately, the same answer anyway (Update drivers - remove free AVG etc) A wee bit uninteresting (imo), but I am sure of value to the OPs

Ask a Question