on clone of SSD , boot error, autochk program not found

Reaction score
I recently installed an SSD and after a few hassles was able to clone the my existing Windows 7 install and get the new SSD drive running perfectly. I also am still using one partition of the original Hard Drive for data.

What I wanted to do was CLONE (using Macrium free, the same software I used to create the working SSD) boot and data partitions back to the hard drive for backup. Those partitions would have no drive letter assigned so would be hidden to the op sys during normal usage.

If something happens to the SSD, I could easily boot up the hard drive and work. I've cloned Hard Drive to Hard Drive before with no problems booting the clone. This time, cloning the SSD back to the Hard Drive is giving me problems.

When I try to boot (fyi, I disconnect the SSD during this test) I get the dreaded "Autochk program not found" after the Windows logo appears, and then a blue screen c000021a error. I've done a lot of reading on this and can't quite figure out how to fix this, or what is bothering windows.

It should be possible to backup the SSD onto the Hard Drive and boot. I copied the SSD's System Partition as well as the C drive, so that may be part of the problem. Also the partition layout on the Hard Drive is different, but I don't think that was ever a problem Hard Drive to Hard Drive cloning.

Since I have a working system, maybe there is a better way to do the copy, or is there a reliable fix for the boot error I'm getting that I could try?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
There are some definite differences between an SSD drive and spinning hard drives including some extra drivers but even moving between new spinning hard drives I have always had issues with the boot-up after switching to a cloned drive.

What has worked for me is to boot up to the W7 DVD after you switch OS drives, so that it can repair the boot sector to what is needed.

Ask a Question