Not Responding msg with thumb drive

Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]I mention thumb drives, but this has happened before when opening a folder within the C drive. The problem seems to happen when I double click the mouse too fast (if thats possible) to open a folder.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I then try Ctl Alt Delete, but then thats non responsive (meaning not even the Task Mgr is accessible). I end up re-booting the PC.

Not sure if that made sense & If so, is there a fix?

What I have:
Win 7 Home Prem - 64 Bit.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]C drive is a OCZ Vertex[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Graphic card a AMD/ATI Radeon 4870 HD [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mobo is a Asus Sabertooth X58[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]RAM is 6 GB of DDR3-1600[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Virtual Memory set to Min of 1024 & Max of 2048 - though odd. I thought set to “let the System Manage” but maybe that’s the setting I had when had a regular hard drive for my C drive.[/FONT]

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
It sounds like your computer is "freezing". Unfortunately it is a difficult problem because it can have so many causes.

Things to check are:
1. Hardware issues like having the wrong memory or mismatched memory or the wrong memory timings. Also, Overclocking of the CPU or GPU can cause freezing.
2. Make sure you have the latest drivers installed.
3. Scan for viruses in safe mode to see if you are infected.
4. Try actually uninstalling your anti-virus and see if it is causing the slowdown.
5. Make sure you have the latest windows updates installed
6. use MSCONFIG to disable some start-up programs which are also trying to run in memory and see if it still freezes

BTW, with 6GB of RAM your virtual memory isn't likely to get much use so I wouldn't worry about those settings

Reaction score
Thanks-

The first thing I did was changed the Virtual Memory to 9202MB (the recommended number) for both Initial & Maximum. There was no other incidents the rest of the night.

But tonite will also try your suggestions.

Wonder if an driver update on the graphic card helpful - though I do check for such updates monthly. So that and other drivers current or at least not (too) old.

Ask a Question