No device drivers in the installation media

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I'm trying to install an x64 over an existing x32 W7 Professional using a DVD
Sir, you cannot install the X64 version over the X86 version. You have to wipe the hard drive clean and do a clean or custom install as it's called in Windows 7. Those are two completely different OS with completely different kernals, etc.

Reaction score
No device drivers were found.

"No device drivers were found. Make sure that the installation media contains the correct drivers, and then click OK"

Is the error message the pops up when I try to install Windows 7 Ultimate x64.
Its a fresh installation on a rather "fresh computer".
I use the Asus Sabertooth x58 Motherboard, and I got a Corsair 120 GB SSD.
The screen:

(Windows logo) Install Windows

Select the driver to be installed.

Blank box, contains nothing. (prolly where these "drivers" are supposed to be listed)

Checkbox Hide drivers that are not compatible with hardware on this computer.

Browse(clickable) Rescan(clickable) Next(un-clickable)

WHEN I CLICK "Browse"

Browse for Folder

"Small computer img" Computer

"+ sort of checkbox, Disk img" Boot (X: ) (this actually made a emoticon... really...)

OK(un-clickable, have to choose a "driver" first

Cancle(clickable)

Sooo thats pretty much it... can any1 here help me, Im pretty desperate to get this working, cuz I dont know alot about linux, (and it sucks for games)
and I hate mac...

I took the files from the DVD and put em on my Transcend 32GB USB 3.0 USB Drive.
Everything before booting the Win7 setup was done down to smallest detail.

Help me plz :dontknow:

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
For a Flash Drive installation you must make the drive a bootable one.

Download the Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool.

Follow the instructions and in not much time at all you'll have a bootable USB Flash drive Windows 7 install drive.

You must also be sure ALL other driver SATA cables are unplugged from the motherboard except the one you want to install Windows 7 to.

You need to install from a bootable clean install, don't try to install from Vista or whatever as a 'clean install' will give the best results.
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

Reaction score
Im sorry.. but did you even read what I posted?
If I get to the setup, from a clean/ fresh... newly put together machine without any OS,
Then clearly my USB stick is bootable.
And I also mentioned that "before BOOTING the Win7 setup..."
Im sorry, not trying to be rude, but that wasn't the help i expected :p

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Well, your description was a little confusing, so that's why I posted what I did.

What driver(s) are you trying to load during the install process? The 'disk img' is superfluous for what you're doing. Usually that's not needed, even for the Intel RST and INF drivers. The Windows 7 drivers Microsoft drivers loaded during the 'clean install' should be sufficient until the installation is completed and you're on the initial desktop shown when it's done.

Would you please be more specific which driver you're attempting to install at this point of the Windows 7 install?

Reaction score
I might aswell take pictures...
Cuz I dont know which driver(s) its looking for... I even asked my friends up in the "higher" places, and well they got confused too. I'll get 2 or 3 pictures and then I'll repost.
Hopefully you guys can help me :p

Reaction score
Would you please be more specific which driver you're attempting to install at this point of the Windows 7 install?
Device drivers... what device is the setup talking about? There might be something there... I dunno, just rolling out the possibilities, something like that.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
Sir, you don't NEED to load drivers, just skip that section and continue on with the install. It's only if your doing a RAID setup.

As I stated before, The MS Windows 7 drivers installed after you skip that window will be just fine until it's finished, then load the Intel RST (Rapid Storage Technology) drivers. Those are for AHCI configuration and such. Improves the HDD or SSD speed and interfacing. Be sure to install the Intel INF drivers first though.

Read my tutorial here: https://www.w7forums.com/install-intel-inf-drivers-t11823.html

It will tell how to correctly ensure that the INF drivers are properly installed.

If this is your first true install, a clean install of Windows 7, that window can be confusing. I only use it to delete all partitions and then continue the install.

Reaction score
Well I've installed windows 7 many times, on school for exmaple, and those computers still use IDE as main transfere option... And I have encountered this problem before, but I dont know if I managed to bypass it with some other solution, or if I just dont remember it.
But this computer is 100% fresh, its 3 days old, and I only have one SSD, Corsair 3 series 120 GB 6G/s
And well, I'm pretty much stuck where I'm standing.
And BTW! I can't skip this part... if so, then please tell me how :S

Last edited:
Reaction score
A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing.

I have the same problem trying to re-install windows 7 home premium into my HP Compaq 620 notebook after running a disk sanitizer? I am using the DVD that was supplied with the laptop. Please help if you can & if you have any questions, I will do my best to answer them asap? Keeps coming up as 'A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD or USB flash drive, please insert it now'. Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Reaction score
What DVD?
The one with the Windows installation files? Or a drive CD?
You know, this error can be caused by a numerous factors :p Mine was stupidity, and so it was solved x)
Try to find the sata-drivers for your motherboard, and then burn em onto a CD/DVD or put em on a USB stick. Try to load em when Windows asks for them. I like to have some1 hold my hand while doing stuff I'm unsure about :p So feel free to contact me,((e-mail address removed)) If you want further help from me :D
I love to help, and I eventually always come to a conclusion ;)

Reaction score
Hey, I see u had the same problem earlier that I'm having now. I have lenovo X1 laptop and recently bought Transcend 256Gb SSD drive and when booting WIN7 installation asks me about those drivers, but I looked on the net and I didn't find drivers that I can use when installing WIN7. The only thing i found is .exe:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS014898

but I think that is not a solution because I tried to install it from the USB but WIN7 installation allows me only to browse folders and it doesent work when I choose folder with those .exe drivers. What do You think I should do?!

thanks in front! :)

Reaction score
USB 3.0 ?

Hey there :)
Eventually I managed to install WIN7 Ultimate (x64) on my SSD, and you know what the problem was? My own stupidity...
I had forgotten that I plugged the memory stick in the USB 3.0 slot
it never occurred to me that I was using something that needed to be installed...
I was just so excited about getting my "monster" up n running that I never thought it completely through :p
So I learned my lesson... "watch where you step".
So maybe you should check if you did the same thing as I did :p
The only drivers Windows can ask of you is the drivers needed for data-transfer.
So I would start with checking where you are booting from.
If you are booting from a blue usb port (USB 3.0) then the solution is simple, use a USB 2.0.
If not, then I suggest you find the name of your motherboard and either ask on their site which drivers you need, and if they could provide you with the sata-drivers necessary, so that you can complete the installation.
--
You should also enter you BIOS and check if the right settings are applied, you'd want the SSD to be set to ACHI, and not IDE.
If you have further problems I'd love to help you out!

Ask a Question