Mouse and Taskbar issue

Reaction score
I am used to xp and I just got my new Dell XPS with Windows 7. I have 2 small issues

1. I like to hear the click when I use my mouse. I did go to Sounds and emable Notifications. I can't get it to click.

2. I am used to to the bottom taskbar opening left to right. Now the way it works is my first program I open shows up. The second appear to the left of the first. I like the XP way and that is anyother program I open shows to the right of the first in the taskbar etc.

Tom

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
1. Unless the driver (Control Panel\mouse) has an option to enable clicks I can't think of how you would do this because the only option for sounds caused by a mouse click are while using Windows Explorer (control panel\sounds ... Windows Explorer ... Start Navigation).

2. The taskbar now works like a "dock" so if you have items pinned to the dock they will always open up right where they are pinned. But any items not pinned to the dock should open to the right of the last object. If you right-click on items in the taskbar you can unpin them and then they will not be shown unless they are open.

Besides pinned the only other idea I can think of is grouping, if you open two objects that are the same type then those get grouped together unless you disable grouping. Right-click on the start orb and choose properties ... taskbar tab ... set Taskbar buttons to "combine when full" or "never" and see if that helps.

If you could take some before and after screenshots it might help because my items do open to the right.

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
1) That would be in your "Change System Sounds" option. Check to make sure that the default value under "Windows Explorer" for "Start Navigation" is set to "Windows Navigation Start.wav"

2) That's being a little picky isn't it? In Windows 7 unlike in Vista and XP you can click and drag to rearrange the order of the windows in your taskbar.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Ace, we do get used to things a certain way and change isn't always appreciated, wanted, or even needed. Sometimes the little things can be the most annoying (like a dripping faucet when you're trying to sleep).

But anyway Tom, like I said try those taskbar things and if that doesn't resolve your issue then take some before and after screenshots because mine DOES open to the right, not the left.

Ace

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Ace, we do get used to things a certain way and change isn't always appreciated, wanted, or even needed. Sometimes the little things can be the most annoying (like a dripping faucet when you're trying to sleep).

But anyway Tom, like I said try those taskbar things and if that doesn't resolve your issue then take some before and after screenshots because mine DOES open to the right, not the left.
I think what he means is that the new windows in the taskbar gets placed at the leftmost area at the bottom and all the previous windows on the taskbar move to the right to make space for it. He wants the new window to be places to the right of all preceeding windows on the taskbar so that they don't have to "move" to the right to make space for the new window on the taskbar. However that's not possible, at least without some windows modifications not available to you through any control panel options, to have it open any other way.

Unless you have windows pinned to the taskbar there's no way that's possible

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I think what he means is that the new windows in the taskbar gets placed at the leftmost area at the bottom and all the previous windows on the taskbar move to the right to make space for it.
Correct, that's what I understood as well. Mine do NOT do that. All my new windows open at the rightmost end.
MyTaskbar.jpg

Last edited:

Ask a Question