Monitor Power Off Catch 22

Reaction score
Can't get my monitor to go into stand by mode...W7 64bit

I want to have my session time-out so I have to enter my password to log back in however...

1. My screen saver kicks in after 10 mins and I put monitor into standby after 15 mins. As soon as the screen saver kicks in monitor does not go into standby mode.

2. So I set my stand-by mode to kick-in after 8 mins and screen saver mode to 10 mins. Monitor goes into standby mode after 8 mins no problem but when the screen saver kicks in after 10 mins it wakes up the monitor and the monitor stays on! Ahhhh. If I turn screen saver mode off my session stays logged in and active.

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Hi Wetcoaster - Welcome to w7forums

If I'm not mistaken you can set the computer to require a password when it wakes up. If so there would be no need for you to use the screen saver for password protection.

Control Panel >> System and Security >> Power Options
or
Control Panel >> All Control Panel Items >> Power Options

then select from the left side of the screen - "Require a password on wakeup"
------------------
The easiest way would be to type "Require a password on wakeup" in the Search Box from the Start Menu.

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, except I don't want my computer to go into standby I only want my monitor to go into stand by mode. As far as I know there is no setting for 'prompt for password' when the monitor comes out of power save mode, except on the screen saver option.

Hope that clarifies the situation

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, except I don't want my computer to go into standby I only want my monitor to go into stand by mode. As far as I know there is no setting for 'prompt for password' when the monitor comes out of power save mode, except on the screen saver option.

Hope that clarifies the situation
I'm not sure how to accomplish that, hopefully one of the other guys will have an idea or two.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Can I clarify, for the purpose of offering help, what you perceive as the difference between standby "mode" and standby? Or are you meaning hibernation?

Reaction score
When I talk about standby mode I am only referring to the monitor power state, not the computer.

I want the monitor to go into 'low-power' mode.. I have an ASUS VW266H monitor. When the monitor is used normally the power light is blue when the monitor goes into power-save-mode it turns orange. I want to be able to tell the monitor(and only the monitor) to go into standby, lower-power-mode, power-save-mode whatever you want to call it. I am trying as hard as I can to use as little energy as possible and this is a stumbling block for me, Windows 7 has a problem with this request.

I have tried with a different monitor (Samsung) and the problem still persists! I feel it has something to do with when the screen saver kicks in, the power profile is ignored. I was wondering if there is a power profile when logged out. I am using 'Fast User Swtiching' as I share this computer with another person...

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Are you using an OpenGL screensaver? If you are, don't. It's not at all unusual for the OpenGL savers to disrupt the monitor standby mode.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Wetcoaster - If you don't really need the screensaver, then I would recommend turning it off.

In the Power Options section of Control Panel you're given the option of setting the monitor's power off settings in addition to the computer's settings.

Try adjusting the settings and see what happens.

Ask a Question