Monitor/Power/Graphics

Reaction score
Issue(s): Power-Supply? Installed a RocketFish 550W PowerSupply that I may then Install a XFX GeForce 9600 GSO Graphics Card. Also, Replaced Original Harddrive with a Seagate Barracuda 1TB. Installed 3GB RAM.
After Installing, everything Seemed to OK. Then, the Samsung Monitor wouldn't have any Images...would have to Re-Boot many times b/4 the Image would Remain upon the screen. Image was present but, would go Blank. Monitor Diagnostis shows Monitor OK. Changed the power connection.
Have a APC Surge-Protector with most devices connected...ie., Modem, Router, Printer and, Monitor. Connected Tower Directly to Wall-Outlet. UnInstalled the XFX Card...Belive that this card is unsuitable for the Samsung SyncMaster 204B.
Now...System is OK but only because I leave On! Should I turn-off the system untill the next day...the monitor will again have issues? But, if I re-boot now...system stars up w/out probs?
Not getting Any Error(s) in Device Manager, etc..don't know if problem is MOBO/BIOS/Drivers!!! Making me nuts!

Thanks
TinCan

Kougar

OCing one chip at a time
Reaction score
Can you test the GPU in another computer, or test a different GPU in your own computer? Otherwise I can only make educated guesses here.... Unfortunately my first guess would be the issue might be the power supply.

Rocketfish units might be sold by Best Buy but they are notoriously poor and can't deliver the power they claim on the label. That is not a power hungry GPU so I'm not sure why it would have an issue powering that GPU, but those symptoms are common when the GPU isn't receiving sufficient power. If you could test a different PSU in that system I'd recommend doing so.

Ask a Question