Microsoft here are some tips!

Reaction score
I agree with other peers that it looks and feel like vista. Something I found dissapointing is the control panel. XP works fine. Why dont you change the eye candy only? or leave the all control panel as the default. Another thing, why dont you leave the right click on my computer to default to the old Win XP properties? Instead of clicking on the device manager and advance from the Vista dumb menu? Why the network connections has to be so complicated? Leave the old open network connections as it was on XP and have an additional link for all the other gadgets. Navigation should be simple. Vista navigation is one of the biggest upsets I have. Been a technician for 16 years I hope they change that. So far I was not able to make Telnet work or Active Directory Users and Computers. I had to delete a couple of registry keys to allow installtion of other programs. MICROSOFT PLEASE LISTEN TO THE WINDOWS COMMUNITY! WE WANT YOU TO SUCCEED.

CHIVAZO

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
In my opinion, Windows 7 and Vista weren't made for the geek. They were made for the non-geek who doesn't care about registry editors, disk partitions, and internet speeds. When you tour this OS, you have to put yourself in the position of your mom, who doesn't know a thing about computers (or maybe she does. Just a hypothetical example.), and think Okay, is it too simple to connect to the internet? Yes, it is, and even though that makes my blood boil, [insert non-tech knowledgeable person here] will love it. If you want a geek-friendly OS, dual-boot your system to Ubuntu. I'm not going to say any more about linux, except that it's amazingly deadly to the non-geek, and amazingly powerful to the geek.

BetaMan

Reaction score
In my opinion, Windows 7 and Vista weren't made for the geek. They were made for the non-geek who doesn't care about registry editors, disk partitions, and internet speeds. When you tour this OS, you have to put yourself in the position of your mom, who doesn't know a thing about computers (or maybe she does. Just a hypothetical example.), and think Okay, is it too simple to connect to the internet? Yes, it is, and even though that makes my blood boil, [insert non-tech knowledgeable person here] will love it. If you want a geek-friendly OS, dual-boot your system to Ubuntu. I'm not going to say any more about linux, except that it's amazingly deadly to the non-geek, and amazingly powerful to the geek.

BetaMan
U think computing is only meant for geeks in this world? Computing is for making lives easier using the blessings of technology for everyone, so Windows 7 does not disappoint there.

And u have meager and vague ideas about what's really a geek OS means. You are insisting that Ubuntu is a g33k OS with lot of crazy and cranky terminal playground! Wake up and land on the real world man, ever tried Arch linux? Now that's called a G33k OS.

BetaMan

Official G33k
Reaction score
Where did I say computing is only for geeks? Answer me that my friend, answer me that.

PS. Do you know how to spell "you"?

Last edited:
Reaction score
The last item in the Win7 CP says 'All Control Panel Items', which brings up the old school list.
Sure, but do we need 55 Control panel options where some of the exact options are located in other Control panel items?

why dont you leave the right click on my computer to default to the old Win XP properties
Right-click on My Computer, choose open, double-click on the C: drive, navigate to the Windows folder and locate explorer.exe. Drag that file to the desktop, and choose Create shortcut here. Rename it to Windows Explorer. Now right-click and choose properties and add this after the .exe.(If it's highlighted, click your mouse button after the .exe),

Now hit the space bar and type in /e,C: and choose Apply.

The line should look like this:
C:\Windows\explorer.exe /e,C:

Now drag that shortcut to the Start Button, let it expand un till you see accessories. When you see the tooltip that says Move to Accessories, choose yes, You'll receive a warning message, but just say yes to overwrite it.

If for some reason you want both icons to appear, just rename the shortcut to anything other than Windows Explorer (maybe Windows Exploder) and drag that shortcut to Accessories. now you have both. the /e,C; brings you directly to the root of the C: drive. If you have another partition you'd like it to open, simply change it to that drive (Ex. /e,E: brings you to the root of the E: drive if you have partitioned you hard drive.

In my opinion, Windows 7 and Vista weren't made for the geek
I agree there and I think large corporations, or governments, and IT departments are going to avoid it like the plague, same as they did with Vista. This is just Vista on steroids. Give me back my Windows Professional 2000 with the added security benefits and that would be great.. If I wanted a "cutesy interface". I'd but a MAC

Couple other tips:
There are many ways to tweak Windows, but you'll never get the Classic Start menu back unless you edit the shell32.dll file with a resource editor (Dangerous territory)

Here is a small sampling:

Right click the taskbar and choose properties.
Check "Use Small Icons"
Taskbar Buttons: "Never Combine"

Credit to Tim Sneath for this one:
For those of how how would like to bring back the Quick Launch feature,

Tim Sneath : The Bumper List of Windows 7 Secrets
http://blogs.msdn.com/tims/archive/2...7-secrets.aspx

If you'd like it back, I've slightly modified his to make it easier.
Right-click the taskbar, choose Toolbars > New Toolbar
In the folder selection dialog, choose the Browse folder and navigate to::
C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Intern et Explorer\Quick Launch

Select that folder and now you have the Quick Lauch bar
Turn off the "lock the taskbar" setting, and right-click on the divider. Make sure that "Show text" and "Show title" are disabled and the view is set to "small icons". Use the dividers to rearrange the toolbar ordering to choice, and then lock the taskbar again

One problem, it disappears if you uncheck it. I'm working on that one.

You can also bring back the switch between windows feature by navigating to C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
Right-click on the switch between windows shortcut and drag it to the Quick Launch bar and choose copy here, You now have the same features as Vista. Open a bunch of windows, then choose switch between windows. Pretty cool!:cool:

Also, Sysinternals (now Microsoft) has an excellent freeware utility called desktops, which gives you four desktop (like Linux, yes).

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...c5a693683.aspx

Another must have utility is Sysinternals Autoruns.This a an extremely powerful tool. You can download it here:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb963902.aspx

A hidden feature in Windows7. Go to Start > Run, and type optionalfeatures. I think you'll be amazed at what you find here.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sure, but do we need 55 Control panel options where some of the exact options are located in other Control panel items?
Nevermind, sorry I offered. First not enough, then too much. You appear to be a 'I am never satisfied with anything I don't do myself' person.

Reaction score
You appear to be a 'I am never satisfied with anything I don't do myself' person.
If you could give give me a better unstanding what you mean by that comment. I'd appreciate it.

First, i believe I helped chivazo with 2 of his concerns.

And no, I am not a fan of the new Start Menu. It's seems to me that Microsoft has made addition steps to locate what you're trying to find.

My additional comments were simply an attempt to let others know there are more options.

The last time I checked, everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

Last edited:
Reaction score
A hidden feature in Windows7. Go to Start > Run, and type optionalfeatures. I think you'll be amazed at what you find here.
Err.. isn't that the 'Turn Windows features on or off' option in control panel? What you are giving is just a command to open it from run, nothing special on it and it's not a hidden feature.

Reaction score
So you guys are Geeks?

I need some help. So far I manage to make most features work except Active Directory Users and Computers. I get a unable to create a snap in error. Does anyone have a clue? Also, the telnet feature on your optional features it's not installing. Errors out. I am using a 3rd party software to telnet but it would be nice to make the W7 works. So far I am pleased with the performance of W7. Hopefully, they will make additional changes to make it more Techi friendly. As some of you mention before this is perfect for a non tech mom. But for us that troubleshoot, It does fall short. Comment on Linux. That's why Linux owns 2% of the market.

chivazo

Reaction score
Windows 7 seems to be heading in the right direction but for me it just needs to be cleaner, less cluttered and more intuitive. If it is to succeed Windows 7 needs to be as easy to use as the modern phone UI.

The iphone and The New Palm Pre are perfect examples of where UI design and visual communication is heading. Relevant information being viewed as priority instead of having tons of windows like a biscuit and cake trail for Hansel and Gretel to meet there crashing doom.

Enough is enough. I want to see the work I’m doing not the crassly done glass effect especially when there’s already a drop shadow on everything.

Why do we need four pixel wide borders around everything?
Transparent Boxes that interfere with perfectly fine and attractive icons.
All processes being limitlessly multi threaded.
Multiple steps to common tasks when a visible advanced option plus the ever simple right click feature will do.
There must be a way of reducing programs and process needing to sap resources when they aren’t directly associated to the current task.

Innovative UI is the solution to all windows issues. Make it intuitive and people will sing from the roof tops “Windows rules”.

The wii remote opened up the gaming experience to all because everyone knows how to use their TV remote and waggle their hands and wrists.

We’re no longer wowed or fooled by 3D windows that don’t give a true benefit or any other pointless eye candy. Less really is more.

Clarity, flexibility and speed please.

Rant over

Reaction score
Windows 7 seems to be heading in the right direction but for me it just needs to be cleaner, less cluttered and more intuitive. If it is to succeed Windows 7 needs to be as easy to use as the modern phone UI.

The iphone and The New Palm Pre are perfect examples of where UI design and visual communication is heading. Relevant information being viewed as priority instead of having tons of windows like a biscuit and cake trail for Hansel and Gretel to meet there crashing doom.
Have you got any ideas on how Windows could do this, or seen another computer OS that can do it? I also really like the iPhone menus, but I don't know how that would translate to a PC.

I understand what you mean about settings being complex to find, but I don't know how else MS could change it to make everything more accessible. Please don't think I'm having a go, I'm just interested to see what the alternative would be ;) Are there any Linux distros that have a UI that works better so I could take a look?

Reaction score
It’s ok I don’t think you’re having a go, your comments are valid and practical. Such a move would need a fair amount of work, I fully I understand. I work in the digital content providing industry and I’ll use a website that the company I’m a part of developed. Our client wanted a clean clear website but at the same time wanted to explore navigation via a webcam. Using and adapting technology at many people’s disposal we delivered a fairly good site that works with the mouse and webcam navigation without compromising the look of the site. Please check it out: http://www.hrp.com/

We aren’t one of the richest corporations on the planet but had the gumption to push the site forward. Many companies in all kinds of fields do this week in week out. My point was that I don’t see why Microsoft can’t attempt the same.

Better still if they feel out of their depth developing a progressive UI then seek the input of outside designers who can. Apple Mac’s used to be grey boxes on the inside and on the outside till they got someone or firm to direct them down the path to good design inside and out.

Now they grow from strength to strength with ordinary users spending over the odds to be part of their design and usability ethos. Then though they still to this day can’t run flash as well as PC’s with the same internal hardware give or take the odd adaption.

What I’m talking about isn’t reinventing the wheel its merely highlighting what other industries, manufacturers, operating system developers are already doing. As a Windows Mobile user I’m experiencing these failings in the majority of my daily media life. I don’t see why that should be.

Reaction score
Rightly said h0ruza, there is a lot more possibilities with UI and making things simpler in an OS. But it might be that MS is too reluctant to learn from others and giving some flexibility to its products. I think they are just sticking to their ways and don't looking beyond it.

Reaction score
That's what I fear the most debsuvra they don't feel they need to so they won't. I also dream of flying cars that run on banana skins, i'm sure honda are working on it :D

Reaction score
What I’m talking about isn’t reinventing the wheel its merely highlighting what other industries, manufacturers, operating system developers are already doing. As a Windows Mobile user I’m experiencing these failings in the majority of my daily media life. I don’t see why that should be.
Yes, I see what you mean now! Windows Mobile is a great example of a failing, I tried some Windows smartphones recently and could hardly believe how bad the UI was. Checkboxes and little scroll bars where you need to use a stylus... bad user interface. In fact, it was enough to put me off even considering one.

I'm amazed that they haven't given Windows Mobile a HUGE overhaul!

Reaction score
Realistically I just want less fuss and a cleaner look for windows 7. I think most people feel they can't get over the fact that it looks the same as vista and what's needed is to leave vista behind from the guts of the OS to the look of it.

Surely this could be done with a simple lean mean and sexy theme alternative rather than giving us an olive or silver version like in good old XP.
My fingers are crossed tightly.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Surely this could be done with a simple lean mean and sexy theme alternative rather than giving us an olive or silver version like in good old XP.
My fingers are crossed tightly.
I don't think that much will change between the current beta and the final release of Windows 7, but you might be able to get some skins or themes for W7 that bring it closer to what you are after :)

Ask a Question