Max memory for windows 7 64 bit with 3d and photo editing sofware

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to this forum. I haven't found any threads that answer my question.

I have Window 7 64 bit ultimate. I use a lot of design software, 3d software, CAD programs and photo editing software.

What I need to know is how much memory will the OS utilize? I know what the minimum requirements are, but now how much memory the OS will actually use. I'm considering upgrading my memory, but not if it won't speed up the performance of my software.

Some of the software is written for 64 bit versions and my processor can handle up to 8GB.

Thanks for any help :)

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Hi Indigo! Welcome to the Windows 7 Forums website! :ciao:

I use Windows 7 Pro x64 version and my RAM usage in idle, that is not running any applications will be roughly from 1.3 to 1.5 GB usage. (That's with being at the desktop and my other stuff running in the system tray.)

I have a total of 6GB of DDR2 PC8500 1066MHz RAM installed @ 5-5-5-15 @ 2.1vdc

Microsoft recommends a "minimum" of 2GB RAM for the x64 version of Windows 7. However, most users will run at 4GB of RAM in x64, but in your case you "may" want to go to 6 GB.

Depends upon how RAM intensive your software is and what recommendations the software makers suggest.

Ask a Question