Making sticky for "windows Freezes"

Reaction score
Just an observation but there seems to be a growing list of posts in various sections about different types of windows freezes.
I was wondering (realise this is a lot of work for the Admins) if we could set up a sticky in the forums covering it all in one place.

Maybe something like "If your windows freezes in this way, then try this"
Sort of make up a list of the different kinds of freezes ppl are getting and then follow it with a list of workarounds to try.

Then lock that forum so it cant be added to and when a new problem is raised, direct them to the locked forum for problems/fixes first.Iif it does not work for them or it's a new problem let it run till solved then add it to the sticky and so on.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
At one time I think they were combining the post all into one thread, I think it's still that way.

The problem is that there are a lot of "hit and run" users of this forum. They post their issue / problem and then wait for help and then once received they don't come back.

Rather rude in my opinion if you ask me. But that's the way society is today, I WANT IT NOW!

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
We all realize you're a busy man, with lots of "irons in the fire" so to speak.

Maestro... at your leisure. :top:

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
We all realize you're a busy man, with lots of "irons in the fire" so to speak.

Maestro... at your leisure. :top:
As long as I can read up about it before supper!!!!:p

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
What time is supper at your place? Your wife must be an excellent cook!

Can we eat in the man cave?

How about Ian gets it done and then you can read about it whilst you have your "Daily Constitutional". LOL! :toilet:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I remember too where they were all in one thread. In many ways, that's better, because the one that adds on to the thread can review all of the answers. However, that thread is so long, and goes to the infancy of 7. Many of these members (a couple were MVP's) no longer posts on the forum. There are some good answers there, and some bad ones, too. Many were placing 7 on old computers, at the time that was OK, 7 was a RC.

But times have changed, and I see nothing wrong with a member starting a new thread on freezing. Because some of these users were experiencing "freezing" on brand new computers. Of course, my answer to that is simply returning the product, but some users wanted to mess with it anyway. It's their money, so I guess they can do what they want. But if I were to buy a brand new computer and it was freezing from the start, it's going back, no matter who I have to call, and believe me, I'll call whoever I have to in order to get results.

That's why you should always purchase with a credit card, if possible. You have protection this way. Or use PayPal. That way, if you get the runaround, you have something to fall back on. Many of these later posts involve new computers, and a return or exchange is the easiest and best thing to do. If you're having this problem early on, just think of the other bugs that it has in it.

Cat

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
Once my work has calmed down I'll add a reasonably detailed "freezing" troubleshooting article with lots of tips and advice, combined from all of the existing threads. :)
Thanks Ian that will be very useful :top:

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
The problem is that there are a lot of "hit and run" users of this forum. They post their issue / problem and then wait for help and then once received they don't come back.

Rather rude in my opinion if you ask me. But that's the way society is today, I WANT IT NOW!
I don't consider that rude. When I take my car to a shop, I don't stick around and socialize until the next time it breaks down. In fact, I would rather I never have to visit that shop again. It is not fair to expect everyone who seeks help to become a "regular".

And if these posters "wait for help" I see no problem with that either. The ones that are rude are those that post a question (possibly in multiple forums), wait 30 minutes then "bump" the thread complaining that no one has helped them yet. Now that's rude! But of course, if you don't understand "forum etiquette" you may not know it is rude.

The problem with creating a "universal" sticky for "Windows Freezes" problems is there are simply too many potential causes - not to mention many "levels" of freezing that may or may not point to a single cause. Freezing can be caused by heat, bad power, malware, corrupt/conflicting anti-malware programs, bad driver, failing RAM, failing CPU, failing motherboard, corrupt data/HD, failing graphics, and who knows what else.

And the symptoms of freezing are just as varied. Sometimes you get a BSOD, sometimes you don't. Some times Ctrl-Alt Del works, some times the keyboard is locked too. Some times the mouse pointer can be moved, some times it is locked too. Some times you can access the machine remotely, some times not. Some times you can hit the reset or power button, some times you have to pull the plug.

Most problems are simple to fix. It is figuring out exactly what is broken (the actual troubleshooting part) that is the most difficult and time consuming. This often is because troubleshooting is typically accomplished by eliminating all possible causes (seeing what is still working) and seeing what's left.

There have been many attempts at this before, some valiant and exhaustive with all kinds of flowcharts and what ifs. But regardless the extent, they are all "generalizations" and because of that, none of those attempts have been very successful.

A quick Google search of troubleshoot Windows freeze problems shows many solutions, but none come close to being a fix all.

It is a great idea, but I just don't think the results, regardless the sincerity of the attempt, can ever be very practical - not for some a general, nondescript problem such as freezing.

That would be as difficult as doing one for "crashing" - whatever that is!

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
The ones that are rude are those that post a question (possibly in multiple forums), wait 30 minutes then "bump" the thread complaining that no one has helped them yet. Now that's rude! But of course, if you don't understand "forum etiquette" you may not know it is rude.
I concur wholeheartedly on that!

Reaction score
Good post, Bill? Anyway, although it would be nice to be able to have a one stop freezing fix it shop I realise that's not possible however I still think if Ian's still happy to put in the time to do it then an everything in one place approach could a least help a little.
Even breaking it up into the two very broad categories of "when everythings new" (new hardware, fresh install) & "upgrade/update on existing hardware" groups might be a start.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I totally agree Bill, as freezing can be down to many things, the sticky would just be full of general information on some of the basics of what could be done to try and resolve some of the more common issues (the sort of things we'd all suggest initially: drivers, system temps, hardware issues) and then provide a little more information on how they can go about asking for support (like mentioning BSODs, event viewer alerts, types of freeze/crash etc...). :)

Digerati

Post Quinquagenarian
Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Mychael said:
Good post, Bill?
Not sure the reason for the "?" but if over confusion of my identity, "Digerati" is my secret identity ;) - a name (a real word actually) given to me long ago by an old commander after fixing the General's computer. From there, it just stuck.

Even breaking it up into the two very broad categories of "when everythings new" (new hardware, fresh install) & "upgrade/update on existing hardware" groups might be a start.
Even those two are not enough as freezing certainly can happen on existing systems and not related to a new build or any upgrade. That said, knowing a machine was just built or upgraded is critical information that sadly is often not provided to us in the opening post, and often not until the thread is highly involved.

Ian said:
the sticky would just be full of general information on some of the basics of what could be done to try and resolve some of the more common issues
I think if presented like that, it could be a great asset - if nothing else, a reminder or guide for OPs and providers of [often overlooked] areas to look at.

Ask a Question