Macrium Reflect: The fastest disk imaging software is now available as a free edition

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I have posted this in a couple of threads, but I thought I would start a new thread and let people know about this great piece of system backup imaging software!

The fastest disk imaging software is now available as a free edition.

Absolutely free
! No strings! The only free XP, Vista and Windows 7 compatible disk imaging software with BartPE and Linux based recovery options.

• Create a disk image whilst running Windows using Microsoft Volume Shadow copy Service (VSS).
  • Image to Network, USB, FireWire drives and DVD.
  • Built in scheduler.
  • 32 bit and native 64 bit versions.
  • Industry leading compression levels and speed.
  • Linux based Rescue CD with Network access and full GUI. Only 6.5MB in size!
  • Built in CD/DVD packet writing engine. Supports packet writing to DVD DL media with Windows Vista.
  • HTML log files.
Version information
Version:v4.2.2409 Date: 29th January 2010 File Size: 31.8 MB File Name: reflect_setup_free_x86_x64.exe

MD5 Hash: e87110ce750e1280042e944a0d0b52c6 Windows Versions: XP, Vista, Windows 7. 32 and native 64 Bit.

Note: This installation file contains the 32 and 64 bit versions of Macrium Reflect. The correct version will be automatically installed.

Free Edition Screenshot Gallery

Click on a thumbnail image to view the screenshot. ..............................................................................................

Download Reflect v4.2 Free Edition by clicking on the DOWNLOAD NOW button at the top of page with the Green Arrow.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Have you tried it, Nibiru?
I have a paid up edition of Acronis, which has never let me down, over many years. But, like so many of us, I like to try alternatives. I have what appears to be a working free copy of Macrium, in my software store, so perhaps the offer has come up before?
Anyway, I digress, It worked fine, and I can remmebr that it did sem a little faster than Acronis. As far as I can remmeber - it was a little while ago, and feel free to correct me - the downside was the autoboot CDs (Isn't there also a Bart??, as an alternative?). I am an inexperienced Linux user and could not come to terms with the recover options. - But - I may be thinking of another image program.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Yeah, I have tried it and it works great. Just ran another backup of my C drive and it took 4:57 minutes to back up about 20GB total. Very fast. I have been testing it for about 6 weeks now and really like it. I am an Acronis True Image fan also, btw.

The free version will also let you burn a bootable rescue CD.

This is a Windows-based program, just the CD uses a Linux-based loader for booting since Linux does a great job in those situations, especially for the GUI it uses.

Partition Wizard is a free program and their bootable CD is Linux-based too.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Great Program. Been using it for a year and a half.

One thing to note is, when they update the version and you install it, you need to make new back-up images. Not a huge deal because it's so quick.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I downloaded it, and it's a fast, no nonsense backup. Meaning that it's easy to setup and use. It won't install on Win 2K, but you can install it on XP, and backup either of the three partitions from there (XP). To say that it recovers as good as the Windows 7 backup, I can't answer yet, but if it restores as good as it backs up, then it is one great freebie. Thanks Nibiru, for posting this.

Ask a Question