Lenovo X201 or T410

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
Which do you recommend?

I don't use any graphics. This will be a work computer, heavy SQL querries with lots of data, excel too.

I need a lot of computing power. Does anyone know which is better from their specs?

Attachments

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The specs you are showing are almost the same. Unless there is something drastically different in the bus speeds they should run about the same.

The first one has a 9cell battery that will likely last longer than the 6cell but you can probably upgrade to a better battery in the second unit.

There is no DVD burner listed in option #1 - I would definitely want one.

I had an issue with a Hitachi HD with sound & heat (though it wasn't a laptop HD and I would be surprised if they would allow too much heat in a laptop), so I personally would prefer the Seagate in Option #2

Option 2 weighs an extra pound and a half and is wider and thinker which to me is worth it for ...

the biggest difference: extra 2" of display so I would go with option #2.

(Well the biggest difference might be price but I can't see that in photo #2 :p )

I also see no mention of how many USB2.0 ports are available - my nephews has 2 and I wish it had 3 or 4 so it may be important information depending if you add a usb keyboard, usb mouse, flash drive(s), laptop fan. Of course you can plug in a 4-port usb extender.

And ethernet connection (or even phone jack, though dial-up is almost dead) are not mentioned - you may want an ethernet connection if you ever want wired instead of wireless.

To be honest, since it has bluetooth I would recommend a bluetooth keyboard and mouse for wherever you are using it most. I had to use one of my nephews usb slot to add bluetooth for his keyboard and mouse but both of these have it built-in.

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
Thanks TrainableMan...I should have mentionned that screen size and availability of USB ports is not an issue, as I use a docking station and a separate monitor. Also I prefer a better battery that will give me longer power.(especially when I am on the road)

Weight is important because I carry it daily between home and the office.

So if both are pretty much the same in computing power, I would prefer option #1 :)
unless someone convinces me otherwise.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If you want something that you've got to carry round, I'd go for option #1 - simply because the weight is going to be the biggest factor. I'd agree with TrainableMan's points, but if portability is important then it may overrule them.

I'm after a similar laptop myself - but I'm going the Acer 1830T. The build quality probably won't be up to the same standard, but it's priced between a netbook and laptop, so suits me :D

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
There is no DVD burner listed in option #1
I find it hard to believe it wouldn't have at minimum a dvd player. I haven't looked in a while but they used to offer a player and you could upgrade to writer; these days you might even be able to go for blue-ray reader or even writer. If it comes with none and you have to add it as an extra that will add a few ounces to the weight.

Kalario

Aquarius
Reaction score
I find it hard to believe it wouldn't have at minimum a dvd player. I haven't looked in a while but they used to offer a player and you could upgrade to writer; these days you might even be able to go for blue-ray reader or even writer. If it comes with none and you have to add it as an extra that will add a few ounces to the weight.
I see what you are saying, unless you use an external one. I just love the idea of a 3.5lbs everyday laptop.

Ask a Question