Key and ID problems .

Reaction score
Can somebody please explain the Producy Key and ID key and the validation process please because i am having difficulty in validating my copy of windows.

I will explain because I have messed up somewhere trying to be clever:

Firstly ..I purchased a upgrade win 32/64 discs with key but found I would prefer a full Version install so I purchased window 7 Full version Disc with Key. So I put the upgrade discs to one side and used the Full version
I installed the full version with OEM product key on my older machine which was just about 64 bit freindly but found that it was not upto date and slow so I purchased a new i7 core machine cpu and Mobo which is fully 64 bit happy....stay with me please guys.
I installed the Full version Win 7 disc again and tried to install the same OEM product key but microsoft said it had been used before on my old machine and i cannot use that key again!!! OEM use only once!! GOB Smacked!! So I am left with a Full Version Disc with no Product Key and maybe no ID key? (I would like that ID explained later please!)
So I went online (Ebay) and purchased 2 Genuine Licence Keys (so they said) but they looked real and had good feedback. so I used one on my Full version disc new machine and it worked ...but now (after 3 months)and it is saying that it is not a genuine copy..I have been using it for 3 months and it was saying it is a geniune install and key. I contacted Microsoft and they say the Key I was given was a Developers and programmers key valid for a few months???and not genuine???

Then to make matters more tricky I then got another new 64 bit CPU mobo Machine and used the same win 7 Full version disc again to install Win 7 full version and I then used the product Key # from my upgrade disc (if you remember) to validate the installation which it accepted and still working for 3 months and it keeps saying it is genuine thank god! but I cant be sure if it is genuine??

So the question is can I use the same Win Full version Disc to install on mulitple computers but need genuine Product keys? and what about the Product ID's and any other Validation problems. And if my main machine CPU board cannot accept another key what can I do?? because it took days to install apps and utilities as you can appreciate..or i am looking at a totall reinstall. I am really hoping somebody ( Guru) will take the time to read this and advise. Help would really be appreciated for sure.

Thanks to anybody that replies

Last edited:
Reaction score
Luckily I brought in a team of experts to help me read your post.:eek:

Those Ebay keys are bogus. How can you expect to get a valid Windows 7 key for $10.00?

I would call Microsoft support regarding your OEM key. Most likely they will sort it all out for you. I had a similar issue on a fresh install using a key I had used on another machine. Once it's registered on one machine, it will not register on another. So call them and explain what you are trying to do. But best not to mention the pirate activities.

Reaction score
Hi guys

I acually paid $100AD for the key and a company which sells spare keys sold it to me with a 100% Genuine warranty..have a look at their site..I have a paypal receipt and email confirmation from they stating 100% Genuine spare OEM key

http://www.vogmart.com/

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
@cistec - Hi welcome to the Windows 7 Forums website.

Firstly ..I purchased a upgrade win 32/64 discs with key but found I would prefer a full Version install so I purchased window 7 Full version Disc with Key. So I put the upgrade discs to one side and used the Full version
You CAN do a full install with "Upgrade" version discs. The install DVD is exactly the same, whether it is a Home Premium (or whatever version you bought) OEM, Upgrade or Full Retail.

It's the PRODUCT KEY that makes the difference, that's all.

Go to: Clean Install Windows 7 with Upgrade Media

I installed the Full version Win 7 disc again and tried to install the same OEM product key but microsoft said it had been used before on my old machine and i cannot use that key again!!! OEM use only once
OEM keys are for system builders and computer makers. You can install it up to 10 times on the SAME machine with no hassles from Microsoft. It registers the motherboard's serial number and a couple of other things when it validates at MS.

One time when I was using XP PRO OEM, my motherboard died on me so I had to replace it and re-install XP. Naturally, this time I had to call MS to get a new "validation code" to enter in. I explained the situation and went on from there, all good. MS is there to help you, not be the SS and hunt you down.

Tell them that you had a lightning strike that hit the power lines and fried your motherboard and CPU so you had to replace them. They'll work with you on it.
it keeps saying it is genuine thank god! but I cant be sure if it is genuine??
Go to the Windows 7 Genuine Validation site and run their little applet and it will verify for you.

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/

I hope this helps.

Also, the place where you got your key(s) at eBay, has the "money back" guarantee, so make them honor it. If you have issues use the PayPal resolution center to assist you.

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
I just love :knuddel: these people who "hit and run" on the forum websites! :vroam:

This guy has gone to several other Windows 7 websites asking the same questions.

Will he ever return to let us know how it turned out? I sincerely doubt it. :dontknow:

Do you think he'll even say "Thanks"? :dito:

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I just went to that site and couldn't find any win7 keys for sale. You must have to know somebody or know the double secret password.:rolleyes:

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
I just went to that site and couldn't find any win7 keys for sale. You must have to know somebody or know the double secret password.:rolleyes:
I think it's a Russian website, there are several on the web run by the same guy. He's a real shyster from what I have read and seen.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If you paid by credit card, which you always should for online purchases then contact your credit card company right away, as you generally have up to 90 days to dispute an item (call on the phone but they will probably require something from you in writing).

Ever notice how the product keys sold on eBay, usually say "Please leave feedback once it works". That is because they know Microsoft can invalidate keys at any time for abuse. The license can be working fine until you get the next WAT update from the Windows Update program and then BAM, your suddenly illegal. They could even be selling the same key to several people.

Both a W7 upgrade version and a full version will allow a complete install but an upgrade version requires that you have an old version of XP or Vista license to be legal.

Your product key is your license. One license per computer per OS, so if you dual boot XP and W7 64 then you need two licenses. Microsoft allows up to two installs per 90 days (this is to allow for re-installation on the same machine and is not meant to allow use on two computers simultaneously). Once an OEM product key is installed it is supposed to be linked/joined to that specific brand of computer, example Gateway or Dell, and cannot be reinstalled on another - I honestly don't know how this works but it is my understanding (Others please correct me if I'm wrong here).

No matter whether your product key is OEM or not windows also requires Activation. This is just another way Microsoft protects itself. Yes your product installed and had an accepted product key but how many machines was it installed on, activation trys to make sure the answer is only one, this is why after 2 installs per 90 days you have to activate by phone.

OEM computers, at least laptops, generally come preactivated; basically there is extra code in the BIOS that was supplied by Microsoft to the Manufacturer so that your unique product key combined with the tables in the BIOS allows for immediate activation. One method used by hackers to illegally activate is to load this table into memory at boot, which is why these are called boot-loaders - if you see this mentioned in an eBay ad, you should definitely avoid it.

A little more info, OEM product keys are not supported by Microsoft; basically as part of the agreement with the manufacturer for selling them W7 at a reduced cost, the manufacturer is required to supply you with the Windows 7 support, so Microsoft will not give you free support. Personally I've never figured out how to reach MS support anyway so this wouldn't be a huge deal to me.

Final notes about eBay, To be legal on eBay, if a seller is selling an OEM W7 disk they are required to sell it with a computer or at least the HardDrive. Also if a seller is selling just the product key it must be listed in the category "Everything Else > Other", it may not be listed in computers at all - of course people do and unless they get reported it continues.

Reaction score
RE: Key and ID problems

Thanks for all the replies on this thread. It helped answer my questions about the OEM version of Windows 7. I ended up buying the full version of Windows 7 Pro.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Most of the time when I bought XP Pro OEM OS's, an old RAM stick or power cord came with the OS. And if it cost less than $100, beware, it may be counterfeit. A full (retail) version of XP Pro SP2 costs as much as Windows 7 Pro does, around $299. An OEM is less, around $120 to $150. These are the prices for legit XP Pro OS's.

Windows 7, prices vary a lot, but an OEM of Pro is about $120 or so, full retail can go for as much as $299. There are more Ultimate versions of 7 for sale on eBay, than the rest of the versions put together, and many times, you can get them for less than Pro. But I've yet to see an OEM of Ultimate anywhere on the net.

In any case, if you do get a counterfeit OS, report it to Microsoft, the seller, and your credit card company ASAP. If you made the purchase on eBay, it's best not to contact the seller, but the resolution center, as well as PayPal's resolution center. Usually within a week, you have your money back, this was my experience with eBay purchases that are no good. Prompt reporting is critical to getting refunded in a timely manner.

And finally, beware. If a Windows OS (Office & Server too) looks "too cheap", it's best to stay away. That way, you won't have to deal with the problems at all. You get what you pay for.

Cat

Ask a Question