Kernel_mode_exception_not_handled & bad_pool_caller

Reaction score
I know that my PC (well most of it, anyway) is kinda getting old (circa 2007) so I was wondering first off whether I should worry some piece of hardware might finally be dying. Or otherwise what's happening lately. I'm not sure how to narrow down the specific cause of these two BSODs I had just a couple days apart recently.

The first one was KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED. I wasn't even using the PC at the time it happened but I remember having a game, browser (Chrome), and Skype left open beforehand.

The second, BAD_POOL_CALLER, happened just a few hours ago and I was just using my browser with a few tabs open (Skype was also open at the time). It happened upon clicking a (known to be safe) link; I don't know if that was a coincidence or not.

Also I think this could be related; for around a week lately, I've occasionally experienced brief (1-2 second long) random moments of slowdown and freezing, usually just whatever specific software I'm actively using at the time does it. I've had a few total unexpected program crashes as well. The freezing stuff can happen with anything but most often occurs with my entire browser (not just the webpage) doing it, or within one of a few PC games I play.

Thanks for looking. I'm very familiar with internal PC hardware by the way. I included both minidumps, and my system specs are on my profile.

Attachments

Reaction score
Welcome to the W7 forums.

Please run: Memtest86+ Memory Testing
For at least 10 passes!

Let us know how you go.
Ok I did that. It never said anything about any sort of problem (and errors: 0). Was it supposed to save some sort of log file, because I couldn't find anything like that after? I took a screenshot before closing it out in case (attached).

Attachments

Reaction score
My drivers are all up to date. Also I haven't had anymore BSODs since but I have still had program crashing/freezing and would like to know the cause of the original BSODs.

Reaction score
Various programs randomly; browser, Skype, different games. Really everything I do with my PC is very prone to unexpected random slowdowns, freezing, or crashing for no reason lately. I know I don't have a virus because I've checked with various programs so I think it's related to whatever caused the BSODs.

Shintaro

Reaction score
Ok, hopefully by enabling Driver Verifier we can dig down and find the cause.

(Borrowed from Zigzag3143 posts)
Driver verifier

Using Driver Verifier is an iffy proposition. Most times it'll crash and it'll tell you what the driver is. But sometimes it'll crash and won't tell you the driver. Other times it'll crash before you can log in to Windows. If you can't get to Safe Mode, then you'll have to resort to offline editing of the registry to disable Driver Verifier.

So, I'd suggest that you first backup your stuff and then make sure you've got access to another computer so you can contact us if problems arise.
Then make a System Restore point (so you can restore the system using the Vista/Win7 Startup Repair feature).

Then, here's the procedure:

1. Go to Start and type in "verifier" (without the quotes) and press Enter
  2. Select "Create custom settings (for code developers)" and click "Next"
  3. Select "Select individual settings from a full list" and click "Next"
  4. Select everything EXCEPT FOR "Special Pool", "Force Pending I/O Requests" and "Low Resource Simulation" and click "Next"
  5. Select "Select driver names from a list" and click "Next"
  6. Then select all drivers NOT provided by Microsoft and click "Next"
  7. Select "Finish" on the next page.

• Reboot the system and wait for it to crash to the Blue Screen.
  • Continue to use your system normally, and if you know what causes the crash, do that repeatedly.
  • The objective here is to get the system to crash because Driver Verifier is stressing the drivers out.

If it doesn't crash for you, then let it run for at least 36 hours of continuous operation.

Reboot into Windows (after the crash) and turn off Driver Verifier by going back in and selecting "Delete existing settings" on the first page, then locate and zip up the memory dump file and upload it with your next post.

If you can't get into Windows because it crashes too soon, try it in Safe Mode.
If you can't get into Safe Mode, try using System Restore from your installation DVD to set the system back to the previous restore point that you created.

Reaction score
I haven't tried the above yet but awhile ago I just got another BAD_POOL_CALLER. Here is the minidump. Is there a faster possible solution or answer? Whatever it is, is getting worse and more frequent and I also noticed it took a much longer time for my desktop to finally load up after this BSOD. I really need a fix for these issues since this is my only PC which I use daily.

Attachments

Shintaro

Reaction score
Mate, I need driver verifier on to dig in to the problem.

Ask a Question