SOLVED Just got a few questions...

Reaction score
So Im looking to upgrade my OS from XP to 7

I want to do a clean re-format and Installation of Windows 7, Do I need to get the Full version or is this possible with the Upgrade version?

What are the main differences between the Upgraded and Full?

Reaction score
Hi Infernx - Welcome to w7forums

What are the main differences between the Upgraded and Full?
The only difference is that the upgrade is tied to the OS you are upgrading from. With the upgrade you must keep your license to your previous OS.

Windows 7 upgrade will allow you to clean install.

PS:
There is a location for your computer specifications in "User CP", if you are interested

Reaction score
Hey well thanks for the quick response. So when I install 7 it will automatically use the license from XP? Im just not sure how that works.

Why would they sell upgraded and full if you can do clean install from upgraded?

Im a little confused:confused:

---on the pc specs in user cp, thanks for the tip but I just thought it was easier to post in the signature---

Reaction score
The upgrade media will give you a choice of upgrade or custom install. The custom install gives options that can be used to format the drive if you choose to do so. Either way you will still need to keep your older OS license because the upgrade license is not a full license its an addon to your previous license.

If you purchased the Full license you would not be bound to a previous license.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
It is just another tool for MS to sell Windows 7 that's all, since the user is upgrading from either the XP or Vista operating systems.

You do not need to enter the old key when doing the clean or custom install.

Enjoy Windows 7! You'll really like it!

Reaction score
Hey well thanks guys for clearing that up,

One more thing... the OS I have now came with the pc that I bought through Dell and I have reinstalled it about 3 times using the backup CD's I never had to enter a license key.

My question is when I install windows 7 how will I be able to use the previous key from XP?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Just FYI, there is No option when upgrading from XP to 7; you MUST do a complete clean install (with either upgrade or full) but the format is optional. If you do not format first then all the XP windows files will be moved to windows.old.

The upgrade version is essentially a discount to repeat buyers. The upgrade version comes with a new license & key but legally it contingent on you also having your old XP license. In other words you can't turn around and sell your XP CD/discs on eBay once you install the XP upgrade version. If your computer came with XP installed then you most likely have a sticker on the unit which is your XP license otherwise there would have been a license on or in the XP packaging. You will not be asked for your XP license key.

Before you upgrade it's a good idea to run the windows upgrade advisor. It will try to tell you which programs and printers etc will no longer work in W7 and it should tell you if you can run 64 or 32 bit.

When you upgrade you will need to pick 32 or 64 bit. If your motherboard supports it, you have at least 2GB of ram. preferably 3 or more and you don't have a lot of 16-bit programs then I recommend 64-bit. Even if you do have a few 16bit programs consider 64bit and buying the Professional version so you can run XP in a Virtual window.

I touched on Professional but you will need to decide which flavor you need; Windows 7 starter, home premium, professional, ultimate, (or enterprise). Starter is very limited so unless you buy a netbook you probably won't consider starting there. Home Premium is designed for your normal user. But if you need Virtual PC - XP mode that I touched on above, then you need Professional or higher. Ultimate is for users that need bit locker data encryption or wish to be able to change the language windows uses in message displays (up to 26 languages are available but it causes overhead so you would only load the languages you need). Enterprise is for corporations.

I personally use Professional because I have a few very old programs (including my much loved mshearts which is not supported in W7) that will only run on XP so I use the Virtual PC - XP mode for those.

Also if you wish to carry over all your logon ids and settings you will want to get W7 Easy Transfer.

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
IF you want to install XP on a separate partition you can, but why?

Are you saying the Dell machine came originally with XP on it?

Do you want to use XP now that you'll have Windows 7?

Reaction score
Ok well, thanks for the info again guys. Iv never farted around with Operating Systems other than reinstalling a few times, I appreciate your patience.

I have already decided that 7 Pro would best suite my needs mainly because it has the ability to emulate XP

I wont need to Install any other OS on a different partition. And yes XP came with the Dell machine I have

Now as far as the 32 and 64 bit Im still not sure which to choose. Im not clear on the advantages of 64 over 32 but am looking into it right now.

Reaction score
Now as far as the 32 and 64 bit Im still not sure which to choose. Im not clear on the advantages of 64 over 32 but am looking into it right now.
Your system is comparable to mine and I have 64-Bit Home Premium. You have already decided to go Professional for XP Mode, so there is no reason not to go with 64-Bit.

Reaction score
Ok so my closing question is....

If I plan to boot to CD-rom Drive with the Windows 7 Upgrade disk will everything install ok being that the system technically would not be upgrading?

Im just trying to save some money and not buy the full version if I dont have to and I just wanna understand the procedure.

Thanks for the help

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Here is an article on 32 or 64. And I'm with Clifford, unless you can think of a good reason not to go 64 then that is what I also recommend. Like I said run that upgrade advisor.

If I plan to boot to CD-rom Drive with the Windows 7 Upgrade disk will everything install ok being that the system technically would not be upgrading?
That is exactly how I did it. And Microsoft says you are "upgrading" in the only way they offer for going from XP: a complete install

Nibiru2012

Reaction score
The upgrade discs have the same install and software as the full retail. They're the same size in GB and all that. It's the KEY that make the differentiation between the different editions of Windows 7.

Ask a Question