Java Update?

Reaction score
My computer (Vista) has informed me several times that there is a "Java Update Available". It even left an icon on my taskbar, don't ask how or why cause I have no idea. It sounded suspicious to me so I haven't done anything with it.

I have never seen an update for java before, did everybody else get this also?
Whats with this Java update stuff?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don't think the legitimate java update would have done that. You may have fallen for a malware scam and uploaded a virus or spyware. You might want to run a few scans to see.

I think I would fall back on a system restore point just to be safe. Then if you are interested in the Java update you can go to a safe download location.

Reaction score
It is indeed legit. Java does use a updater which run on startup, this can be disabled if you want to disable it. What version of java do you currently have?

Older versions have vulnerabilities that malware can use to infect your system. You can follow these steps to remove older version Java components and update.
  • Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 and save it to your desktop.
  • Scroll down to where it says "JRE 6 Update 16"
  • Click the "Download" button to the right.
  • Select the Windows platform from the dropdown menu.
  • Read the License Agreement and then check the box that says: " I agree to the Java SE Runtime Environment 6 with JavaFX License Agreement". Click on Continue.The page will refresh.
  • Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation and save the file to your desktop.
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
  • Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel, double-click on Add/Remove Programs
    Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
  • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.
  • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
  • Then from your desktop double-click on jre-6u16-windows-i586-p.exe to install the newest version.
  • After the install is complete, go into the Control Panel (using Classic View) and double-click the Java Icon. (looks like a coffee cup)
    • On the General tab, under Temporary Internet Files, click the Settings button.
    • Next, click on the Delete Files button
    • There are two options in the window to clear the cache - Leave BOTH Checked

• Applications and Applets
        Trace and Log Files
    • Click OK on Delete Temporary Files Window
      Note: This deletes ALL the Downloaded Applications and Applets from the CACHE.
    • Click OK to leave the Temporary Files Window
    • Click OK to leave the Java Control Panel.

Reaction score
Just an additional post on how to disable future updates....

Although it is advisable for security measures to keep Java updated so remember to check manually

Open control panel - Select Programs

Double click on Java Icon
Select the Update tab
Uncheck the option for Auto updates
Apply then OK

Hope this helps

Attachments

Reaction score
Java is updated quite regularly and can get outdated pretty quickly without the user realising. The jump between Java update 15 and Java update 16 was just two weeks. Older version can harbour infections, especially noticeable with vundo infections.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great advice guys. I've had computers for about 10 years and I don't recall ever seeing this type of update before, thats why I was so suspicious of it. When I get a little time to set down and do it, I'll try and run that update and get back to you.

Hey veedaz that java tester site was interesting. Nice link.

Reaction score
Hey veedaz that java tester site was interesting. Nice link.
I agree - Thats the first time I have seen that tool and it looks handy for a quick check. Also, in addition to the site Veedaz mentioned there is also a tool called JavaRa which will check for outdated versions of Java, documentation on this tool can be found here The download point for JavaRa is Here

Ask a Question