SOLVED Is there a shortcut to Windows Live Safety Scanner?

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
In addition to using my usual anti-virus and anti-spyware/adware protection, I use an excellent program, Windows Live Safety Scanner. I've used it for a year now and it brings things to attention that no virus protection offers. It shows all invalid registry entries, open ports, ActiveX issues and scans your system for viruses and malware. It's a Microsoft product and they have a Vista/Windows 7 version as well as an XP and below one. Once installed, it does it's own thing: scans your system. You may use your computer while this scan is taking place, but I usually use another one. It is a program that is listed in add/remove programs (at least in XP anyway). And if you have CCleaner, when you go to Uninstall, the program is listed. I have uninstalled it in the past, and in the Windows box, it asked "Are you sure you want to uninstall this product? You'll need to download it again....." My question is how do I create a shortcut for this program? The only way I've found to use it is to redownload it every time. Therefore, I uninstall it every time prior to downloading it. Does anyone know how to create a shortcut for this?

Reaction score
Find the the folder the .exe is located in using the search bar in the bottom of the start menu. then right click on the .exe and and click "create shortcut".

Edit: it doesn't offer to create a short cut during the install?

Reaction score
Wait, isn't that a online tool, like a online virus scanner? I think you just go back to the site....? I don't know, it doesn't like me so I can try it.

We're sorry. This version of the Windows Live OneCare safety scanner doesn't work with your Web browser or operating system.
It doesn't like IE or Windows 7.

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken , does not the Live Safety Scanner run from within Internet Explorer? If yes, the only way to rescan is to go back to the MS Website. Uninstall would not be needed as the program will still see that you have files installed for it.

Reaction score
^ That's what I was thinking lol.

Edit:

You can however create a shortcut to the web link a place it on your desktop if you wanted to.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
mattweed9, be sure you select the Vista/Windows 7 version of the scanner for you. There is another one for XP & below. And it took three attempts to get it going on my new one. No, it doesn't offer to make a shortcut, but it is a downloaded program. I'll check into what you said. draceena, you're right, it has to be ran from IE, or if you're a Firefox user, you need an IE Tab (a simple addon).

draceena

That Crazy Amazon Chick!
Reaction score
To make a shortcut on your desktop:

Open IE and go to the MS website where you start the scan from. Save the page as a shortcut. Now just make your IE window smaller so that you have acces to it as well as your desktop. Find your link, right click on it and drag to your desktop area. You should have the option to create a shortcut.

Now anytime you want to scan, double-clicking the shortcut will at least take you to the webpage instead of needing to navigate

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I believe it was originaly part, or associated with, of Windows live one care, which has now been replaced be Microsoft Security Essentials. As most know, MSE is an installable anti malware program and is creeping up the charts for security efficiency. I use it. It is totally unobtrusive in its performance and uses very little resources.

Veedaz

~
Reaction score
If your not using IE

Right click on a blank part of the web site page you want to shortcut to and in the dropdown select Create Shortcut

A window will open asking you if you want to put a shortcut to this web site on your desktop - click Yes.

This is Maxthon 2 in Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

Reaction score
If your not using IE

Right click on a blank part of the web site page you want to shortcut to and in the dropdown select Create Shortcut

A window will open asking you if you want to put a shortcut to this web site on your desktop - click Yes.

This is Maxthon 2 in Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.
Works the same way for IE also

Ask a Question