install old game on 64

JRF

Reaction score
I'm not great on this desktop, but when I try to install an old game from disk, I keep getting a message telling me it won't install in 64 bit. I'd appreciate a fix that even I can do. The game is Sierra and they are no longer around, so I can't get help there.

JRF

Reaction score
I'm not great on this desktop, but when I try to install an old game from disk, I keep getting a message telling me it won't install in 64 bit. I'd appreciate a fix that even I can do. The game is Sierra and they are no longer around, so I can't get help there.
OOOOPS! Drat

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
If it is a DOS game you can probably run it with DOSBOX, to make DOSBOX easier to use you might try D-Fend Reloaded which installs it for you and then you just drag and drop the DOS folder into the D-Fend Reloaded window.
http://dfendreloaded.sourceforge.net/

If it is a windows 16-bit game then you will need to run it in a virtual XP window, if you run windows Professional, Ultimate or Enterprise then this is available as a free download, other virtual PC engines are also available but with those you will need an XP license number.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

JRF

Reaction score
Trainable Man

I should explain further. When I try to install Creepnight Pinball, I get a message saying that 32 bit can't play on 64 bit. I have Win 7 Premium. I'm not computer savvy at all. I have tried compatability troubleshooter and it still will not install. My wife loves that game???

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
You will need a Virtual PC package to run it in XP mode. With premium you cannot use the Virtual PC XP-mode supplied free for W7 but you may be able to use some of the Virtual PC products available. If you have XP disks with the product key then you have a valid license and can use with any virtual PC software.

Oracle's VirtualBox is free with registration

If your PC was bought commercially, like from Dell or Gateway etc then it may still have an XP license code on the top, side or back, but you will need to find the XP software to download and install; with the legal license, you are not violating any laws downloading it if you can find it.

JRF

Reaction score
Thank You

My thanks for your info. I guess the easiet thing to do is find out what pinball games are able to be downloaded on 64. Thanks again.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The original Windows Pinball works on 64bit, In Windows XP it was in C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Pinball\ and when I went to W7 I was able to simply copy the files into the "Program Files (x86)" directory and create a shortcut to the executable which I then dragged into the games folder to create a games link.
- If you still have a computer running XP you could copy the directory C:\Program Files\Windows NT\Pinball\
- If you did an upgrade from XP and have not deleted the Windows.old directory you should be able to find it under there.

Also freeware or trial versions of various pinball games are available on the net. A quick search found, for example:
http://www.thepinballzone.net/downloads/download-pinball/

Ask a Question