infected cmd.exe msiexec removed

Reaction score
Hi,

My anti-virus (AVG free) successfully removed infected files - including cmd.exe and msiexec.

Now, after several scans with different antivir / spyware tools, I believe my system is clean.

But I'm missing these two important files? Can somebody help?

Thank you

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the site Franky :)

Do you know the exact location of the files it removed? It could just be that these are filenames of system files but are in other directories (just named to help conceal themselves).

I would also run another scan using a free online scanner such as Housecall (link) to verify that the infection is gone.

edit: Forgot to mention, if these files are indeed missing try running "sfc /scannow" to search and replace missing/corrupt files.

Reaction score
As well as the above advice you may also wish to try SystemLook to search for the "missing" files:

Download SystemLook from one of the links below and save it to your Desktop.
Download Mirror #1
Download Mirror #2

• Double-click SystemLook.exe to run it.
  • Copy the content of the following codebox into the main textfield:
    Code:
    :filefind
    cmd.exe
    msiexec.exe
  • Click the Look button to start the scan.
  • When finished, a notepad window will open with the results of the scan. (Feel free to post this log in your next reply if you wish to do so.)
Note: The log can also be found at on your Desktop entitled SystemLook.txt

Ask a Question