SOLVED Image or Cloning

Reaction score
I have just successfully restored my desktop PC to factory setting as a result of not been able to connect new hardware. I have never backed up files in the past and I believe my luck will run out one day. I have downloaded "Macrium Reflect Free" but I'm not sure whether to take "clone or an image" of my PC. Also can anyone advise what is actually backed up, i.e. is it all your files, photos and music, and does it include a back-up of your software, i.e. Office and Windows

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken.

Cloning is duplicating the contents of one drive to another.
Imaging is pretty much the same thing, except it is duplicating to a compressed image file instead of another drive.

Either way you are backing up the entire contents of the drive selected for backup.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I believe you want an image. Cloning the drive is used if you buy a bigger hard drive and want to move everything so you can swap in the new drive. If you clone the drive then where you back it up to is completely replaced. If you take an image then that image will sit on that HD but it won't destroy other files/folders already stored there.

Ask a Question