IE8 stopped working, but Firefox works

Reaction score
I've been using Windows 7 for about 4 months without a problem. Suddenly, IE8 will not display any web page, but Foxfire 3.5.8 continues to work as before. The diagnostic message on IE is: "the remote device or resource won't accept the connection". I have the same problem when trying Safari, Chrome, & Opera.

Just before I became aware of the problem, I apparently had a virus-originated message disguised as an anti-virus tool. It claimed to be scanning for viruses. I tried to shut it down with Task Manager, but the Task Manager kept disappearing, so I powered the computer down. After restarting, I did a Norton Internet Security scan, which showed only a tracking cookie. The following day, though, Norton quarantined Trojan.FakeAV, which, according to Symantec's description, displays false antivirus alerts and lowers security settings on compromised computers.
Since I still have Firefox and Thunderbird, the problem is probably with settings on the other browsers, but I have no idea where to look.

Ed

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
I'd use an antimalware product to clean your system; just an antivirus isn't sufficient in this case.

Reaction score
Hi EdBerl - Welcome to w7forums

After you have removed all the malware and if IE8 still doesn't load a page, you might try restoring to default settings. However I don't see how that will fix the other browsers. Hopefully Core's suggestion will fix everything. Good luck virus hunting.

Another thought would be to do a system restore point. This should fix all the browsers and then you can run the cleaners to find the virus.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
EdBerl, welcome to the forum! The above answers should get you going, but you need a malware scanner installed to use on a regular basis. Malwarebytes is good, they have a free one. Just be sure to update it before you do a scan. You should do this once weekly. Also, you get a free tool downloaded to you every month to find malicious software. It runs automatically, but you can run it manually, too. Click Start, type "mrt" w/o the quotes, you'll see the program. Do a full scan with this. There's also Windows Live Safety Scanner, a free program from Microsoft. There's a Windows 7/Vista and a XP & below scanner to choose from. While you're scanning with this, you can use your computer. After the scan is complete, it will give you a detailed list of anything that it finds, any open ports, whether you need to defrag, etc. These all are good tools, but they don't take the place of a quality AV. You may need to set your protection levels to maximum levels within all categories. Prevention is always better than cure. Hopefully all of the above suggestions will give you some idea of what you need to do. Windows 7 is a great OS, but like a car, you must maintain it in order to run smoothly. Best of luck to you, EdBerl, and should you have further questions or need assistance, feel free to post back anytime.

Reaction score
This has been an education and I thank you all . . . But nothing has changed. I downloaded Malwarebytes, which has a date of 1/7/10, but I was unable to update it; error code 732 (12029, 0). Still, I ran it (after backing up my registry) & had 234 objects quarantined or deleted. Still could not get a web site on IE or the other browsers I had mentioned. I tried several restores, but they all failed: "An unspecified error occurred during System Restore. (0x80070057)" The message also recommended running a restore after doing chkdsk /R , but I couldn't figure out how to do that. I recognize that as a DOS command, but don't know how to get to DOS. I have my doubts whether the problem is a corrupted disk, anyway. Why should Firefox continue to work, but none of the other browsers?

EdBerl

Reaction score
This has been an education and I thank you all . . . But nothing has changed. I downloaded Malwarebytes, which has a date of 1/7/10, but I was unable to update it; error code 732 (12029, 0). Still, I ran it (after backing up my registry) & had 234 objects quarantined or deleted. Still could not get a web site on IE or the other browsers I had mentioned. I tried several restores, but they all failed: "An unspecified error occurred during System Restore. (0x80070057)" The message also recommended running a restore after doing chkdsk /R , but I couldn't figure out how to do that. I recognize that as a DOS command, but don't know how to get to DOS. I have my doubts whether the problem is a corrupted disk, anyway. Why should Firefox continue to work, but none of the other browsers?

EdBerl
Ed here's the answer to the "Restore errors":
You said you're running Norton Internet Security.......Norton has an "anti product tampering" setting that is preventing you from doing a System Restore.

Go into Norton's settings, if you have Norton 2010, click Miscellaneous Settings > Product Security, then turn off Norton Product Tamper Protection.

If you have an older version of NIS, it still has this self protection / anti product tampering setting but it will still be called something similar so you can recognize it. It may call it PROTECT NORTON or something like that. When you start a restore, Norton thinks someone is tampering with your antivirus so it shuts down the restore.

Just shut off the self protection / anti tamper protection option in Norton Settings and then do your System Restore. Let us know how you do.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks, DallasDad. Again, I'm learning, but still no fix. I turned off Norton's Tamper Protection, and the Restore took longer, suggesting it was going through a longer process, followed by a message that Restore was complete. But when Windows rebooted, I received the following:

"System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed. System Restore failed to extract the file (C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunes.Resources\pl.lproj\iTunesLocalized.dll) from the restore point. The restore point was damaged or was deleted during the restore."

I tried again, from an earlier restore point, and after Windows rebooted received a message that makes no sense:"Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown. A problem caused Windows to stop working correctly."

I also used RevoUninstaller to uninstall Opera, one of the browsers that had given a message: "Could not connect to proxy server. Access denied."
I then reinstalled Opera, but received the same message. Does this help? Is there a way to focus in on the proxy server, whatever that is?

Ed

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ed if it was me, I'd be really tempted to just do a full System Recovery or reinstall the operating system. For future reference, remember that tip about the Norton anti tamper setting because the tip is good, but something else is still preventing the restore.

Personally I think a full System Recovery would be less work than you've already done, and then the problem will be solved. Do you have Recovery Disks or a Recovery Partition?

Don't forget, with a full recovery you will lose your files if you don't have them backed up.

Last edited:

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
Are you able to access the Task Manager now?

Reaction score
It might come to that. The data's backed up on Mozy, but I don't like the idea of re-installing all my programs. I was thinking of examining the Processes running in the Task Manager. I can always stop something from running & see what happens without doing permanent damage. In the meantime, I still have my email & Internet via Firefox.

Reaction score
Core,
Yes, I can access the Task Manager. I don't know what you mean by "Clean install --> smooth system. Upgrade option --> Chernobyl."

Reaction score
I don't know what you mean by "Clean install --> smooth system. Upgrade option --> Chernobyl."
Hi Ed

That would be Core's signature area. That shows under all of his post.
If you look under the gray divider line on my post you will see my signature that shows on all my post.

Reaction score
Thanks. In the meantime, as I said I would do, I've been examining the Task Manager Processes. So far, I've found one likely Trojan running - csrss.exe. I tried to delete it, but got message that it could not be terminated. I may be on the right track, though.

Ed

Reaction score
Hi Ed

I have two instances of that file running on my PC.

This is the user-mode portion of the Win32 subsystem; Win32.sys is the kernel-mode portion. Csrss stands for Client/Server Run-Time Subsystem, and is an essential subsystem that must be running at all times. Csrss is responsible for console windows, creating and/or deleting threads, and implementing some portions of the 16-bit virtual MS-DOS environment.
Read more here - http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/csrss.exe.html

Reaction score
Thanks for the warning. I've already read that it's a necessary file that trojans sometimes take on as a disguise.

I'm about to look into proxy settings to see if I can discover something wrong there.

Ed

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Thanks for the warning. I've already read that it's a necessary file that trojans sometimes take on as a disguise.

I'm about to look into proxy settings to see if I can discover something wrong there.

Ed
You're right, those things always manage to embed themselves within a important file. I had troubles with the page file sys. getting viruses on XP Pro. You can't delete the file to get rid of it, either. All that I could was reinstall the OS. Then I discovered Malwarebytes, and haven't had problems since.

Reaction score
You may be right, but I dread the thought of re-installing all my programs, get all the settings as I like them, etc. . . . The alternative may be to pay an exorbitant price to Norton to fix things up.

Ed

Core

all ball, no chain
Reaction score
It may be hard to get rid of the infection if you boot into Windows before you scan for it. Often these trojans get loaded into memory during system startup.

Open Command Prompt with admin privs and run "sfc /scannow" to have the system check for corrupted system files.

Run your malware scanner in safe mode. Check boot configuration through Control Panel/System/Advanced/boot options, and try to boot with limited startup items...

Just things you can try, although a clean install is your safest bet.

Reaction score
It may be hard to get rid of the infection if you boot into Windows before you scan for it. Often these trojans get loaded into memory during system startup.

Open Command Prompt with admin privs and run "sfc /scannow" to have the system check for corrupted system files.

Run your malware scanner in safe mode. Check boot configuration through Control Panel/System/Advanced/boot options, and try to boot with limited startup items...

Just things you can try, although a clean install is your safest bet.

That's the way it looks to me.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
A clean install, then a couple of full scans with a malware scanner such as Malwarebytes, along with a full scan with the AV of your choice, just to be sure as Core mentioned, that nothing is left behind in your memory. If you ever noticed, your memory is the very first place your malware or AV scans. You need to do these scans as soon as you can after the first boot upon reinstalling your OS. Some scanners you can run from a thumb drive. But if you don't have that already, your best bet is to download a malware scanner as soon as you boot your OS. Once you get everything back in order, install your AV of choice, and have a second "on demand" malware scanner. Set all of your AV levels to max protection, schedule a short scan daily, do a through scan with both products at least once weekly, a few days apart. And scan every download before opening it, with both scanners. Windows 7 is a great OS, but you do have to maintain it regularly, and I do mean regularly, not once a month. I have four separate scanners, and run one of them every day. There's no such thing as too much maintenance, as far as virus/malware prevention goes. If you need anymore help after you get going, post back, someone will be glad to help.

Ask a Question