IE8 & Hotmail loading problems Windows 7

Reaction score
I have just got a Dell Studio 15 laptop with Intel 2.53 GHz CPU, 4 GB installed memory with a 64 bit Windows 7 Home Premium OS system preloaded.
I have loaded Norton 2010 Antivirus, and have ZoneAlarm for the firewall.
I have now got the power output set on high performance, and this did help a little particularly with the loading of my home page which is the BBC.

My problems are...
1. When I open IE8, the home page is now coming up fine, and links from the front page seem to be working ok. However, when I log on to a second website, I run in to loading problems. Sometimes I just get a blank page with the loading bar stopping at at about 25% and just a blank page, or I get a IE cannot display the webpage. This seems to happen for different websites. The Diagnose Connection problem bar just gives a messageTroubleshooting couldn't identify the problem. I have tried to use refresh and that did work sometimes, but very inconsistently. I don't know what is happening.

2. The other main problem is that I cannot log on to hotmail. I get the log in page to come up, and type in ID and password and get a message. However, the problem that I am experiencing is that after typing in my ID and password, I get a message to say, The e-mail address or password is incorrect. Please try again. The same happens for my wife's account too. Once or twice I did get a message to say that I could not log in from this site, why, seeing it was the Hotmail login page, I don't know. Our accounts are working fine from the XP desk top. Once or twice I did get through but only got a page machine code.

I don't know what to do or how to move forward in solving the problem. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Kubota, welcome to the forums :)

Have you got any plug-ins or toolbars working with Internet Explorer?

Could you try temporarily disabling Norton and Zonealarm to see if that allows pages to load normally please.

The new hotmail interface uses your hotmail e-mail/password as a Windows Live ID (they are the same thing in this case). Just to confirm, you are visiting the same hotmail login page on your W7 and XP machine, but you can only log in on XP?

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
If you have it installed, it could be a problem with "Windows Live Sign-in Helper", Go to Tools -Internet Options -Programs -Manage Add-ons -Windows Live Sign-in Helper and disable it. Restart IE8 and see if you can log in to Hotmail. If you are succesful, do this.
Uninstall these, if installed. The Windows Live Sign-in Helper, Live Messenger, and the Windows Live Installer.Reinstall them from here:
[URL="http://download.live.com"]http://http://download.live.comdownload.live.com[/URL]

If that does not work, have a lok at the correspondence here. Others have experienced the same problem.
http://windowslivehelp.com/community/t/11083.aspx

Reaction score
As far as the log in page, I believe it is the same. www.hotmail.com. I will try the Norton and Zone Alarm disable when I get to the machine this afternoon. I am on my desk top at the moment.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
As far as the log in page, I believe it is the same. www.hotmail.com. I will try the Norton and Zone Alarm disable when I get to the machine this afternoon. I am on my desk top at the moment.
Yes, the log in page is the same, as I have a Hotmail account. It may be worth a try to do the Norton & Zone Alarm disable, and install Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE). Try it out for a couple of days. It is top rated antivirus and antimalware, and it's free from Microsoft. Some of these antivirus/firewall combos causes more problems than they solve. And Welcome to the forums, Kubota! Hope your problem is fixed soon.

Ask a Question