IE8 frequent pinned list is loosing icons

Reaction score
I use IE8 web browser with a few frequently viewed sites pinned. I have also grown fond of these little icons to the left of each link. Keeping these little icons have grown to be routine maintainance. Periodically loosing them and having to revisit all the links again to get the icons back. And if I do a routine clean up, Clearing the history and cookies geting them back has proven nearly impossible without resetting IE8 back to factory defaults. Even now after routine cleanup, reseting IE8 to factory defaults and revisited all the sites. Facebook will still not set back to the site icon.

I believe if the links are stored in a safe place, so should the icons atleast til they are unpinned.

Attachments

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've not noticed this in Windows 7, but sometimes in Vista I would find that the favicon.ico (the little icons) wouldn't re-appear for certain sites until I rebooted my PC.

Can you try running ccleaner to clear the favicon cache and then restart and re-visit those sites? It's a bit of a pain, but it's the only way I can think of that might get them back if you have already re-visited the site without success.

Reaction score
The problem maybe associated with facebook because its the only icon I have trouble getting back after IE8 reset. In fact its the one I most frequently loose. I do loose all of them at times though. All the others will come back after IE8 reset. What gets me is before I am forced to reset IE8 the icons are restored when visiting the site for a few minutes and then reverts back to default icon.

I will reboot first to see if that helps before trying ccleaner and report back

Reaction score
Well Ian I wouldn't have believed it but the reboot straightened the last icon out. Now if they wouldn't revert back to IE8 default.

Reaction score
I rebooted and no icons. After revisiting the sites again I have the icons again. I don't understand why they revert back to default.

Ask a Question