IE8 Freezing and Recovering

Reaction score
When I have several sites open in Windows 7 IE 8, I get a problem if I minimise them. When I hover the pointer over the bottom of the screen I see a miniature of each site. Sometime when I click on one it will open fine, but at other times it will open to a white screen with a small blue rotating circle in the centre. At other times, the page will open, but again will have the blue rotating circle in the centre. If I click on the page, it mists over and becomes semi transparent. When I click on the cross in the corner to close down, I get a message that the program is not responding and Windows is looking for a solution. Needless to say it never comes up with one. It even happened today without me minimising, when I attempted to post this topic, and I am now retyping it into Word so that I can paste it to the forum. A Microsoft technician told me to delete temporary files which I did. He also said to type C:\windows\prefetch and delete all the files that came up. I did this also and the problem was solved for a few minutes. Apart from this problem everything is running fine.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It sounds like something is causing Internet Explorer to hang. Can you try running IE8 in safe mode and see if it still happens by running:

iexplore -extoff

You can type that directly in to the start menu search box or in to the run box (Windows Key + R).

Reaction score
Very many thanks for the reply. I think that I may have found the solution. I disabled all IE addons, and then enabled them one by one. So far IE is running absolutely perfectly with Key Scrambler disabled. Although this may solve the problem, I am VERY disappointed because it is a great tool to keep safe when doing INTERNET banking etc. If all continues to run OK, I will let you know so that others may benefit. If the vendors of Key Scrambler care to answer my e mail I will also let you know.:):)

Reaction score
Hi andsome

Thanks for posting the problem that you found and exactly how you found the problem.

If you don't mind I would like to rename this thread to draw more attention. The misting effect you are talking about is actually "IE8 Freezing and Recovering". I have had this happen on my PC. However I don't have this Addon installed.

Reaction score
Hi andsome

Thanks for posting the problem that you found and exactly how you found the problem.

If you don't mind I would like to rename this thread to draw more attention. The misting effect you are talking about is actually "IE8 Freezing and Recovering". I have had this happen on my PC. However I don't have this Addon installed.
Please feel free to call it what you like. I would appreciate a link.:)

P.S. Just tried everything again and everything is still fine.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Everything still runs fine without the Key Scrambler program. QFX have replied very promptly and sent me a link to a Bug Fix version. Unfortunately this is still as bad. Does anyone know of a similar type of program to scramble keys that are being typed on web sites such as banking etc?:)

Reaction score
I keep a special file of a certain name stashed multiple folders and files deep on my system. In it, I keep text files that have various passwords, banking data, log-ins -- watever. Then I just copy and paste into the online data entry forms. Nothing for a keylogger to capture. Some on-line sites may not work this way, but most do, except maybe for e-mail addresses on some forms.

Reaction score
I keep a special file of a certain name stashed multiple folders and files deep on my system. In it, I keep text files that have various passwords, banking data, log-ins -- watever. Then I just copy and paste into the online data entry forms. Nothing for a keylogger to capture. Some on-line sites may not work this way, but most do, except maybe for e-mail addresses on some forms.
I have been using a memory stick for this purpose. :)

Ask a Question