IE8 drop-down menus - can I change the font size?


B

Bert Coules

I'm perfectly happy with the various settings I've changed for font sizes
throughout Windows 7, but whatever I alter, I can't seem to change the font
size in the drop-down menus in Internet Explorer (Favourites and so on),
which remain slightly too small for easy reading. Is that one area
configurable without affecting anything else?

Many thanks.
 
Ad

Advertisements

D

Dave \Crash\ Dummy

Bert said:
I'm perfectly happy with the various settings I've changed for font
sizes throughout Windows 7, but whatever I alter, I can't seem to
change the font size in the drop-down menus in Internet Explorer
(Favourites and so on), which remain slightly too small for easy
reading. Is that one area configurable without affecting anything
else?

Many thanks.
They should be the same as those set for drop down menus in general.
Those can be set with the settings for Windows Classic, but I don't know
about the fancier and Aero themes.
 
D

Don

Bert Coules said:
I'm perfectly happy with the various settings I've changed for font sizes
throughout Windows 7, but whatever I alter, I can't seem to change the
font size in the drop-down menus in Internet Explorer (Favourites and so
on), which remain slightly too small for easy reading. Is that one area
configurable without affecting anything else?

Many thanks.
I used the zoom feature, which is under the down arrow just to the right of
page on the toolbar.
I found the text size was a little small for my older eyes, I changed zoom
to 125% and it is much better for me.
 
B

Bert Coules

Dave said:
They should be the same as those set for drop down menus in general.
Those can be set with the settings for Windows Classic, but I don't know
about the fancier and Aero themes.
Thanks for the speedy reply. this is probably me being thick, but I can't
seem to find an option under Windows Classic for "drop down menus" - there
is "Menu" but that affects the Menu *bar* not the drop-down lists.

Am I looking straight past something obvious?

Bert
 
B

Bert Coules

Don said:
I used the zoom feature, which is under the down arrow just to the right
of page on the toolbar.
Thanks for the thought, but that doesn't appear to affect the display size
of the drop-down menus.

Bert
 
T

Trev

Bert Coules said:
Thanks for the thought, but that doesn't appear to affect the display size
of the drop-down menus.

Bert
Personalize > Windows colour Custom> advanced appearance (small line in a
blue font) that opens the Appearance setting that you will be used to where
you can set font size and colour for Title bars and menus ECT.
 
Ad

Advertisements

B

Bert Coules

Trev said:
Personalize > Windows colour Custom> advanced appearance (small line in a
blue font) that opens the Appearance setting that you will be used to
where you can set font size and colour for Title bars and menus ECT.
But there doesn't seem to be a setting for adjusting "drop down menus" - or
am I missing something obvious?

Bert
 
T

Trev

Bert Coules said:
But there doesn't seem to be a setting for adjusting "drop down menus" -
or am I missing something obvious?

Bert
Click the drop down arrow /Menu listed as item then pick menu or even
dialogue
 
B

Bert Coules

Trev said:
Click the drop down arrow /Menu listed as item then pick menu or even
dialogue
Unfortunately, "Menu" only seems to affect the Menu Bar, not any drop-down
lists (such as the IE Favourites). And in Windows Classic, which is what
I'm using, I don't have any entry for "Dialogue".

Bert
 
D

Dave \Crash\ Dummy

Bert said:
Thanks for the speedy reply. this is probably me being thick, but I
can't seem to find an option under Windows Classic for "drop down
menus" - there is "Menu" but that affects the Menu *bar* not the
drop-down lists.

Am I looking straight past something obvious?
"Menu" is the right one, and when I set it, it sets the drop down list,
too. It affects all my programs, not just IE. Here is a snapshot of a
menu with an extra large font setting.

http://crash.thedatalist.com/temp/Image1.png
 
Ad

Advertisements

B

Bert Coules

Dave said:
"Menu" is the right one, and when I set it, it sets the drop down list,
too. It affects all my programs, not just IE. Here is a snapshot of a
menu with an extra large font setting.
Well that's extremely peculiar, because it certainly wasn't working that way
for me. Thanks very much for the picture. I'll do some more experimenting.

Later...

Success! I don't know why or how, but I've now managed to increase the
font size in both the Menu bar and the drop-down lists from its former 10 to
12- not much, but enough to make a big difference to readability. I'd be
willing to swear that I did nothing different to my previous attempts, but
clearly that can't be so. Having achieved it, I've hastily saved the
theme, just in case the computer decides off its own bat to change things
back again.

Thanks so much for your help.

Bert
 
Ad

Advertisements


Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top