IE 9 to go public tomorrow

Reaction score
After installing IE9, I noticed you can temporarily view the Menu Bar by pressing the Alt key.

However I did not find a way to keep the Menu Bar visible at all times. There is a Menu Bar option under the View>Toolbars but this option appears to do nothing at all.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
See, yet another work-around/reghack just to get things to work like they should. By the time this is out of beta it will probably have a ribbon :mad:

I couldn't even submit feedback because I would have had to install yet another piece of Microsoft live crapware.

Reaction score
By the time this is out of beta it will probably have a ribbon.
OMG that is so funny. LOL
OK - I can stop laughing now.

I do agree with you TM. People should have a choice in keeping their options especially when it's as simple as a toggle switch to turn features on or off.

A Ribbon Bar in a Web Browser would just be in the way. I spend all my time on the page not buried within the Menu Bar. I prefer to hide the Menu Bar and use the Alt key when needed. I do sympathize with you though, because I know others that want their Menu Bar visible at all times.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well Norton is automatically going to add a bar to my browsers so I know it is watching for malware. Even in IE9 it was sitting on top by itself. In IE8 if I use the favorites menubar that is yet another menubar line and I cannot merge it with Norton, but if I turn on the menu menubar I can merge norton onto that line and the menus offer favorites so I can turn off the actual favorites menubar. Essentially I get menu, favorites and Norton (and with my reghack) all nicely sitting atop the forward/back/URL/search line. Essentially I want what I use and I want it to take the least amount of real estate possible.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
I'm using it now... seems to be a "little" zippier than IE8. My main gripe is that I want to do some tweaking and customization; especially color and such.

At least Opera and FF have tweaks, add-ons, etc.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I can appreciate Cliffs comment, and his own useage of the menu bar, but I do miss it and hope it is included in the final release. I think it is easier to turn it off from views , if you like to browse without it, than pull it out with the alt key (IMO)

However, Brink's reg fix (Yodap's link)works for both 64 and 32Bit. Great stuff. Now, with a pre release of flashfor IE9 64Bit, we can really give it a workout!

LOL lol. This is what the help says in IE9:
The menu bar can be turned on or off in Internet Explorer. Here's how to display the menu bar if it is turned off.
To display the menus temporarily

1. <LI class=step>Click to open Internet Explorer.
  2. Press Alt.
To display the menus permanently

1. <LI class=step>Click to open Internet Explorer.
  2. Click the Tools button, point to Toolbars, and then click Menu Bar.
Note

• To turn the menu bar off again, repeat the steps above.

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Sorry Cliff, I posted the other thread, to bring it more to the attention of general forum users. Good idea to merge.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Only just discovered that the "Beta" actually takes over both the 64Bit and the 32Bit installations (If you are using a 64Bit OS, both are installed) In the start menu, the new shortcuts are both visible. This is what you see, if you open the "About" item of both..

View attachment 1459

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
See, yet another work-around/reghack just to get things to work like they should. By the time this is out of beta it will probably have a ribbon :mad:

I couldn't even submit feedback because I would have had to install yet another piece of Microsoft live crapware.
It is a beta. Noone has to use or try it. The sign in assistant for a live id is, for most willing MS beta testers, already installed. I have mine working automatically through Live mail.
Fwiw. After reading your other post, I uninstalled again (I have now reinstalled) I did not find any of my earlier customisation gone when I reopened IE8.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
When you uninstalled didn't IE8 go through the whole set-up routine? I told it to import my settings from Firefox because I didn't want to loose all my favorites. Maybe they were still there but it running through the start-up made me think they were gone; especially since I could see the menus had reset to defaults in the window behind the Welcome message. I did find all the extras in my command bar menu were available to add back in but they weren't displayed when it had first started up.

Even when it's not a beta I don't have to use or try it, but I don't appreciate Microsoft forcing one piece of software on me in order to provide feedback for another. You may be perfectly comfortable with it but I'm paranoid about them slipping extra stuff on my computer; like when they started automatically logging me into messenger just because I visit hotmail (I renamed the messenger exe just to prevent it; since then I found a forum suggesting how it could be disabled but my way works). I don't want Microsoft having my computer contacting the internet whenever they want and I don't want superfluous programs filling my harddrive and registry with stuff I don't need. It should be a personal choice, not just one more thing they try to force on the public.

If Nibs Astronauts had Microsoft in space it would be the aliens that were worried about being constantly watched. :p

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I,ve put together the procedure and .reg files for getting the menu bar back again. I hope it's found to be useful!

View attachment 1460

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
"but I don't appreciate Microsoft forcing one piece of software on me in order to provide feedback for another"

I agree stongly with that, Trainable. I think, at the very least, a warning that it would totally remove previous IE functionality, would have helped!

No comment on messenger. I use hotmail and live mail but have not had such an imposition.

After my uninstall experiment, IE did pop up with the option request for acceleration and search engine, but all my original customisation was intact, including my favourites (previously imported from legay IEs

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Thanks Dave. The link that yodap posted earlier pointing to another forum had the reg files to fix the menubar too.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Oh yes. I did look at the link. I have just put it into a more conevenient layout, with no extras to download.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I found the text, for example, in the black menu bar on this site, was a little blurry. I tried messing with the fonts in the options, but saw no difference. In the end, I upped the zoom to 125%, which did the trick. Anyone else??
I use 1600 x 900 as my default on a 17inch screen.

OK. Forget it. I improved it through the accesibility and font options together

Last edited:

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
Yes I have noticed the fonts are a lot smaller than in the old IE8 and Firefox.

We all need to remember it's still in BETA so more fixes will be coming down the pike.

Ask a Question