IE 9 to go public tomorrow

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Really looking forward to IE9 launching, especially as it means I'll be able to test to see if w7forums.com still works in the new browser ;)

The GPU acceleration & HTML5 will be a welcome bonus too!

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I'll be able to test to see if w7forums.com still works in the new browser ;)
No doubts. :lol::lol:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Microsoft must be keeping this under their lid, it's not even available on TechNet yet. Most new Microsoft software is available there before the public even knows of it. Hopefully, they'll have their own links to the download.

Most likely, there will be panic tomorrow, I sure hope that MS has enough servers to handle the load. This will be their second largest release of the year, behind MS Office 2010.

Also, this is most likely the beginning of the end of IE6, as I just can't see MS supporting four browsers concurrently. Most likely, just as Win 2K users were forced to upgrade to IE6 to update (you still can do this), XP users will be forced to upgrade to IE7 to update. It ships with IE6 (except the ones with SP3 on the disc). This will mean that Win 2K will be no longer updated. While you can still install it, and install all available updates that were available during it's support, it won't be possible to do that any longer.

For MS's sake, I hope that IE9 does well, as the future of IE hinges on it. The competition is closing in, actually launched their version of HTML5 first. While I'm not a big fan of IE, I do know this, if only Bill was still at the helm, there wouldn't even be a legit challenger to IE's lead. It wouldn't even be close, he'd buy them out and eat the loss first, anything & everything to keep Windows & IE ahead of the pack.

Cat

Reaction score
I'll let you lot and others try it first, and iron out the snags, then I will try it myself. Get busy folks. :D:D:D

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score
According to Wikipedia it will be the public "beta" release. Not the RTM.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Where is the link to it at? As of yet, all that I can find are the platform preview links. Mabye it will be later today, as the West Coast time (where MS is located) is about four to five hours different, making it at much earlier than here.

Hopefully, it will show soon.

Cat

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Never did find a link.

Maybe the servers are too busy with patch Tuesday updates. :rolleyes:

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
I couldn't get it to download from Dave's link, Some adamt reference likely blocked by my ad blockers. But this one worked for me ...
http://download.cnet.com/Internet-Explorer/3000-2356_4-10497433.html
and I notice over 1.6miliion downloads already just from here!

But when I try to install it I get an installer error. "This version of setup doesn't support your Windows system type (32-bit/64-bit)" :(
I know I'm running 64-bit but this 32-bit should still run.

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I am using ther 64Bit. Hang on and I,ll try and install 32

Seconds later. Nope. you are right. same message. Im going to log it as a bug on the feedback

OK.I don't think it is a problem, as such.There is a download for windows 7 64 bit and another for windows 7 32 Bit. Both 32 bit browsers.

Last edited:

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Gosh! It runs so much better than IE 8 on my 32bit. Trying to customize a little now.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well I used Dave's link, selected "other versions", selected W7 64-bit, extracted the link and stripped the href out to skip the pass through the ads and it downloaded. "Piece of cake" :p

The 64-bit installer is almost twice the size of the 32-bit (35.9mb vs 19mb) and when you actually install it goes out and downloads the actual program! It easily took over 5 minutes to install. Have to go now, it wants a restart :)

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Well my excitement was short-lived, I don't care for it.

As is the way with Microsoft these days they have decided to just completely drop features I use - ie the menubar. I remember I had restored it with a registry hack but they took it out (I didn't try to reapply the regfix).

And in order to see the URL you have to make the tabs tiny. And if you enable the favorites and command bars then it is under the tabs which is stupid. I can't honestly say it jumps to links any faster and if it is the first time there it seems slower to me. When you first start it up there is a bar saying it would be faster w/out add-ons and do I want it to disable them or have it annoy(ask) me later - there is no leave me alone button; if I didn't want the add-ons I wouldn't have loaded them!

I uninstalled and lost all my ie8 settings!!! I hate Microsoft! Luckily I was able to import from Firefox but I will have to reapply the regfix to get my menu.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I uninstalled and lost all my ie8 settings!!! I hate Microsoft! Luckily I was able to import from Firefox but I will have to reapply the regfix to get my menu.
Right click the Tab Bar and then select Menu Bar.
If you only want the Menu Bar to show temporarily, then press the Alt key.

There is no need in a registry hack.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
The hack puts it to the top. But in 9 I didn't see a menu bar offered in the "menus"

Reaction score
I can not speak for IE9 Beta, I've not installed in yet. I was referring to IE8.

Firefox has the same option only you have to right click the Address Bar to toggle the Menu Bar.

Seeing how I'm using Opera now anyway, I think I will install IE9 Beta.

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
The hack puts it to the top. But in 9 I didn't see a menu bar offered in the "menus"
The alt.tab brings it up. So far I can't keep it there. As soon as you try to lock it, it disappears.

Still learning.

Attachments

Ask a Question