SOLVED I think I need some technical advice please, before purchase.

Reaction score
Try temporarily disabling Avast until it recognizes the hard drive. AV programs mess up all driver install's. That's probably why Windows is saying it's floppy drive instead of a hard drive. After Windows installs the driver for it restart your pc and the reenable Avast.

Reaction score
I must reply to this one again before I mark this as solved.

I just tried installing my old 1990s disc of Paintshop Pro version 7 and it went in on my Windows 7 64-bit without any trouble at all. There was one issue at the end where it came up with a box saying it wasn't properly installed. Then it applied Windows Compatibility settings to it and invited me to try running it again.

I did, and it works perfectly. All the menus are active Re-sampling Cropping Cloning
Selections all just as it used to on XP.

So it seems I've been worrying over nothing. If an old program like PSP works then what is all the fuss about Windows 7 64-bit not being able to run 16 bit and 32bit programs?

I'm more confused now than ever. I think it's a case of "suck it and see" or Windows 7 has improved a bit in the latest versions.
What do you think?
Cheers
--
Plado

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
In 64 bit ...
Most 32-bit programs run just fine. Very old 16-bit, like the old Ski.exe will not run at all in 64-bit without some sort of emulator such as a 32-bit Virtual PC.

Reaction score
Try running it now that you have it installed. If it doesn't run properly, right click on it in Start>All Programs and choose Compatibility, check the box next to Run this program in Compatibility Mode for and select a version of Windows you know it worked in. Click Apply and OK.

Reaction score
Thanks to both of you for those two replies.
That's very useful. I'll print that out and save it.
PSP is running fine this morning so I will be armed with your advice on how to make it smoothly operate if it plays up.

Great stuff.
Cheers
--
Plado

Try running it now that you have it installed. If it doesn't run properly, right click on it in Start>All Programs and choose Compatibility, check the box next to Run this program in Compatibility Mode for and select a version of Windows you know it worked in. Click Apply and OK.

Reaction score
In fact everyone here has been very helpful and useful.
I'm sure to be back when I need to ask more questions in this learning-curve operation.

So far I'm really impressed with Windows 7 64-bit and I am very glad your folks here advised me to go for that version - though I was a bit late to see the advice on getting Professional version but never mind - that was my fault for rushing into purchase.

This morning I installed Google Earth on this new system and wow! What a difference compared to the way it crawled along in Windows XP.

I'm still in shock !
:eek:Anyway thanks a million to all who have guided me along here.
Regards
Plado

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Most people get along fine with the Home Premium version; there are only a couple advantages to Profession for me, namely Group Policy Editor and Virtual PC - XP mode; and truth be told I wanted "XP mode" in case but all I really use it for at this point is Internet Hearts.

Reaction score
Thought it would be interesting to know what you finally settled on? I'm a composer and musician and have searched the forums for the last year trying to find a solution to the recording music problem with win7. So far after having win7 for a year and trying all the things that people suggest to correct the problem I still can't use my music software to input anything. First I was faced with latency issues, the answer to that was ASIO drivers but everything goes silent with Win7 because of the changes made to sound management. We were happily composing and inputting melodies for years w/ XP and now nothing works right. I'm so discouraged I'm considering buying a new soundcard to see if that will solve the problem. Or pleading with windows developers to reconsider those changes to the sound management.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
trying to find a solution to the recording music problem with win7. So far after having win7 for a year and trying all the things that people suggest to correct the problem I still can't use my music software to input anything. First I was faced with latency issues, the answer to that was ASIO drivers but everything goes silent with Win7 because of the changes made to sound management.
I do not believe your issue is with W7 at all but is really with the sound driver manufacturer.

In XP I had the option to record from websites etc but when I went to W7 the sound driver for this hardware no longer included that. (I suspect it may be related to pressure from the music industry to help prevent copying audio straight from the web etc, but maybe that's just my big-brother paranoia.) No matter the reason it wasn't W7, they don't write the drivers.

There is very little incentive for hardware manufacturers to develop drivers for old hardware; personally I think they are missing an opportunity to sell older drivers, but as it stands they give away drivers or they stop supporting because they are more interested in selling new hardware than in spending developers time writing older drivers.

It doesn't solve your issue I'm afraid, your best option is likely new hardware, but I felt it was important to put the blame where it belongs, on the hardware manufacturers not on Microsoft.

Reaction score
I hope this doesn't post twice - I just was typing a reply to Val Zee and I went to type a 1/2 symbol and when I pressed the alt key + number 1 of 172 for the ascii code the browser shut down and I lost my posting. Weird!

I can't really add anything to the help you have on this one Val Zee as I know nothing of the Windows Sound Management changes. My W7 home prem has a Realtek High Definition Audio soundcard - works like a charm. I record off air captures using my Audacity program (free version to suit Windows 7) and it hasn't let me down yet.
I have a cheap Microphone for very rarely doing recordings of speech. I use external devices such as a Yamaha Digital recorder, to make "live" recordings of my piano in a studio room in my home which I have acoustically tweaked to suit the piano sound and then I work on files of types wav flac and mp3 audio on the Windows 7 again using Audacity as I don't need anything more sophisticated than that for editing.

I use VLC Media Player to view video and Windows Live Movie Maker and an old copy of the original Windows Movie Maker, to edit and fiddle with videos and so I've not got any issues with audio in relation to that either. But I can understand your frustration if you have a sound system hardware or software problem on your W7
I'm sure the great guys here will find you a way through the problem.

It's of no help to you, to know that my setup is still working superbly some 3 and a half months on from my original postings here. Paintshop Pro 7 still jogs along well and I've not yet needed to use Virtual PC or XP mode as my old XP pc is still under my desk being used very rarely as a reference to very old files that are saved there.
I do use it now and then for making panoramic stitches on Ulead 360 which won't run on WIndows 7 even in compatibility mode. So I guess I'm well fixed now until this HP machine packs up. If it does die on me, I've still got my trusty Apple Macbook which I use when roaming around.

I hope you solve that soundcard issue as in your job you can't afford to have Recording issues.
--
Plado

Reaction score
Driver Issue

I do not believe your issue is with W7 at all but is really with the sound driver manufacturer.

In XP I had the option to record from websites etc but when I went to W7 the sound driver for this hardware no longer included that. (I suspect it may be related to pressure from the music industry to help prevent copying audio straight from the web etc, but maybe that's just my big-brother paranoia.) No matter the reason it wasn't W7, they don't write the drivers.

There is very little incentive for hardware manufacturers to develop drivers for old hardware; personally I think they are missing an opportunity to sell older drivers, but as it stands they give away drivers or they stop supporting because they are more interested in selling new hardware than in spending developers time writing older drivers.

It doesn't solve your issue I'm afraid, your best option is likely new hardware, but I felt it was important to put the blame where it belongs, on the hardware manufacturers not on Microsoft.

Between your post above and a post I had found on another forum..I began to "put two and two together" and something clicked in. I had Microsoft enabled to update my drivers and assumed that it was being updated with the correct manufacturers driver, and when I had checked my drivers I was getting the message that it was the correct driver and everything was working fine...but it wasn't. I checked the Realtek driver and found that it was not the one from the Realtek Manufacturer but from "Andrea" and approved by Microsoft. The driver was apparently being replaced by a driver from other than Realtek and it was not the correct driver for my machine. The other poster suggested disabling the Microsoft update and going directly to the manufacturers website and downloading and installing the latest driver from that website. When I did this suddenly everything is working again the way it was supposed to work and I am back in business.
My deepest thanks to you for the information about drivers and the other poster for giving me the clues about drivers being used in the automatic updates, that they are not always the genuine manufacturers drivers. It does make a difference in the proper functioning of your hardware.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Yes, that happens sometimes if the wrong hardware ID is detected. You do not have to disable MS Automatic Updates all together if you don't want. Drivers come in as "Recommended" Updates and so if you turn off the option to treat Recommended updates the same as Critical updates then your drivers will not be replaced.

WinUpdateSettings.jpg

Also when you manually look at your updates if you see recommended updates you know are not correct for your machine then right-click on them and choose to "Hide This Update".

Ask a Question