SOLVED I did it! Windows 7 PRO on my laptop!

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I've been wanting Pro ever since I've been a Windows 7 user. As I have said when I first joined this great forum, I've always used Pro versions of OS's. There are clear advantages of a Pro system. That being said, I downloaded the correct version of Pro that Nibiru2012 posted in this section. Then last night, I bought a Pro key on eBay for $20. About an hour ago, I began what I thought was going to be a half the night job, like XP installs. It didn't turn out that way. In less than a hour, I was fully installed, updated and am now installing MSE as my anti virus on a system that the upgrade advisor virtually said was impossible. It starts up quicker, the screen looks a little better than XP Pro. The main hitch is that the Aero feature will not work. But that doesn't matter to me. I have a new system for that. For two months prior to buying this PC, I was on forums (one a Microsoft one) screaming for a "lite" version of Windows 7 for older systems, and that it wasn't fair to be penalized just because our systems were older. Most of those with older systems would go along with that. But anyway, I was actually shocked at the speed of the install. It's only been a hour now and MSE is running it's first scan. I will have some more things to learn, as with Pro, I understand that there is an XP Mode that I can use if I need to. I'll have to look at the chart again and see the additional features. But I knew that it would work. I would have chosen Ultimate had the prices not been so high. However, having Windows 7 Pro run on a single core laptop that was built in 2005 is amazing in itself (a Dell Latitude D610). Thanks to all and a special thanks to Nibiru2012 for the links to get the program.

Reaction score
I bought a Pro key on eBay for $20.
Why don't you call MS, and ask just how legal that key is. The full version of Professional cost $299 but yet you say you spent $20 for a key to activate a download. I can't express how this sounds to good to be true and it usually is.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Well, I went through the online activation process, it passed in 20-30 seconds. To download MSE, you must validate as well. It was the same way with XP Pro, I bought at least 40 legal keys and only once I got hold of a key that wouldn't activate. These people bought all of these multi packs and don't need them and are selling the keys they don't need. What's wrong with that? If I had extra ones, I'd sell them too. There's nothing that I'm aware of that prevents you from selling unused keys. And if it was a key that someone else has used already, it won't validate. Also, they probably have validation and activation standards set higher than the XP ones. But you can look online for yourself, there are thousands of keys for sale. Remember early summer when you could pre order cheap? They sent me an email as well. I'm a registered Microsoft customer and have been so since 2002. A lot of people bought as many as they could, then resold them. Like I said, I've bought ONE bad key in a 7 year span. That doesn't count the reinstalls that I've done that validated without entering a key. And I've never cracked a system to make it run, either. There are the posts on this forum to download the discs freely, it is a legit business. I was leery of that myself, until I checked it out. I check things out before I act. If the system is legal enough to pass validation and activation (both are requirements, not options) with Microsoft, then it's good enough for me.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
[Worthwhile perhaps, reading this
http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/

But It is not a great threat. I would imagine Microsoft have too many larger eggs in their basket to worry about individual users.

". To download MSE, you must validate as well. It was the same way with XP Pro, I bought at least 40 legal keys "

No such thing. Keys are linked to the software. The "sellers" could just as easily give you the software, which would be the cost pf a cheap DVD. Keep in mind that they may also be selling them to other users. You could run into a problem with duplicate attempts to activate. Certainly, if that is the case, you will ceratinly have problems with updates.

" These people bought all of these multi packs "

Not sure what these are. I have never heard of them. Perhaps they are Technet keys, (which I use), or MSN keys. In either case it is, again, illegal to sell them.

"Remember early summer when you could pre order cheap? They sent me an email as well. I'm a registered Microsoft customer and have been so since 2002. A lot of people bought as many as they could, then resold them"

You probably mean Registered partner? I believe they were half price? One key per copy? As I said above, why not give the software as well. (Or are they using it with the same key.) I certainly would be cautious buying a key on those terms.

"There are the posts on this forum to download the discs freely, it is a legit business."

Too true. But you still need to purchase the key. Only the software download is free.
I could offer downloads, given a host site. Nothing, as far as I am aware, illegal about that.

This is not intended as antagonistic. Just trying to point out the traps in such purposes.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
davehc, that's what I done, was purchased a key. If it was one that had already been validated and activated and in use, Microsoft would deny the online activation. After the install, the program validated with no problem. It validated again when I downloaded MSE anti virus. Then, when I checked the action center, there was a message to activate within 30 days, that it would automatically attempt to in 3 days, but there was the option to go ahead with the online activation. I went ahead and done it, in less than 30 seconds, it showed the activation went through. There were two other issues in the action center, but they were regarding drivers. So I have met validation and activation requirements. Had there been a problem, I would have right on the spot removed the program and reinstalled XP. In the past few years, I have spent thousands of dollars for Micorsoft OS's and keys (but was reimbursed by the people who I did the installs for). Out of all of them, I was sent one counterfeit program, it was reported to Microsoft and eBay promptly refunded my money on the seller's behalf, as he skipped town after unloading 50 bad programs. Other than that, I've had no problems. If the software and key is good enough for Microsoft validation and online activation, it's good enough for me.

Reaction score
This is what davehc is mostly referring to:

http://www.microsoft.com/howtotell/content.aspx?pg=coa&displaylang=en

And if a key is registered on one computer does not mean it can't be used on another one. They probably sold that same key to about 100-200 people, more than likely its a vlk.

I have plenty of CDs for XP, which version with what service pack do you want and for what OEM company? The same goes for Vista.

So in the end you have nothing that proves that you have a legit key. I'm not trying to be rude, just stating facts.

Reaction score
catilley1092 have you heard any stories about people buying retail just to find that their copies will not activate. The key generators are using everyone key that it can find. Have you also heard anything about 3 activations per copy of Windows on a single license. You are only allowed one install but can activate up to three times on various computers. I have not done any research on the topics but these are stores that I have heard.

Hey I still have two activations left on my single license. Maybe I can make $20 per activation that is left by selling them on eBay. Just because you are activated doesn't mean you are legal.

You really should call MS and see what they say about how you obtained the license. Especially from what you said about your Disability Check. I would hate to see you lose when you honestly thought you were going by the book.

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
I see your point, Clifford. I'll call Microsoft myself to find out. But do you realize how many hundreds, if not thousands of others who read that post, downloaded those discs after they read that they needed to purchase a key in order to use them? And there's no telling how many people who done as me. Assuming this is true, do you think that these posts should even be here? This forum isn't Pirate Bay. Those discs were clean, with no viruses and scanned as such. I did what I felt was right. Those links are only encouraging others to do the same. Tens of thousands of keys are sold every day not only on eBay, but other online sites as well. What I saw was the opportunity to upgrade my laptop, I did so. Like I said, I'm one out of thousands who view these pages everyday. With no disc, the keys are worthless and vice versa. Those kind of posts should not be here, in no way do I blame the poster of the links, that's pointless. The point is, how many people do you think called Microsoft to purchase their keys? Very few. Most of them bought from the cheapest source available to them, on an online auction. Why go through all the trouble to download a program, then call Microsoft for your key? I get your point, but it is my hope that you get mine as well.

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
I am legally in the picture, 100%. But, quite frankly, Cat, I would not worry yourself too much about it. You are most certainly not going to end up in jail!. The pocess of checking legality, and activation, is done entirely without human intervention.. The worst scenario for you, which I am sure will never happen, is that you suddenly find your copy is marked as "Non-genuine" and (may) lose functionality. Under your circumstances, maybe morally wrong thinking on my part, I would feel self justification in turning a blind eye to it.
As a tip. This is now well publicised, so nothing nothing illegal in repeating this on an open site, one of the new ways, in Microsoft's dirty tricks department, will be to send crippling code via normal updates.
My only gripe about this is that the persons selling these keys, which they probably got for nothing, are unscrupolously ripping off innocents.

Last edited:

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
davehc, you're right, Microsoft sees this, they certainly could start sending crippling codes through updates. Clifford and you are probably right about the keys, I did some research on it. It is a very real possibility that thousands are getting ripped off daily over the keys. They don't always work, as some research showed. And some never recover their money. I would say that the matter should be marked as solved, we all want to keep this forum clean. Goober, I have at least 20 XP discs myself, don't need anymore. Wouldn't take the Vista ones if you gave them to me.

Last edited:

Ask a Question