I can't use my 4 GB ram @ full capacity

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I'm using Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and i've installed Windows 7 SP1 beta in this night. I have 4 GB DDR2 800 mhz ram but windows properties says "3.25 usable"...

Why i can't full capacity? Thanks for your help! :)

Here;

Reaction score
There are tons of reasons why this could be.

Common ones are that you should check to make sure memory remapping is enabled in the bios.

Sometimes, when the modules aren't getting enough voltage, this problem can happen. Check on your specific modules to make sure they don't require higher than standard voltage. If they do, set the bios accordingly. You can use CPU-Z and its SPD tab to find out the exact modules you have. Then Google for the info.

If you have an onboard video card in use, this could be the reason.

The list goes on and on and on....

catilley1092

Win 7/Linux Mint Lover
Reaction score
Mine is only 3.75GB usable. There are other parts of you computer (your video card is one) that needs RAM, too.

What I don't understand is the users with 32 bit systems, their OS only can use 3.2 or so RAM. Why can't that remaining .75GB RAM be used towards these things, instead of pulling it off what the OS "sees"?

Reaction score
Firstly thanks for your support all of you.

I update my bios at last version. There is no "remapping" selection. I have an external GPU. Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT.

My motherboard supports GPU-NOS function but i can't configure it, it's automatic.

Finally i couldn't find any selection of GPU ram using support "...

But my GPU is 1 GB 256bit. I'm writing the "dxdiag" command to run and see my graphic card's total memory; "2415 MB"...

So i think it's about my motherboard's automatic "GPU-NOS" functionality.

:)

Reaction score
Mine is only 3.75GB usable. There are other parts of you computer (your video card is one) that needs RAM, too.

What I don't understand is the users with 32 bit systems, their OS only can use 3.2 or so RAM. Why can't that remaining .75GB RAM be used towards these things, instead of pulling it off what the OS "sees"?
All the memory on your system, every single bit, must have an address. That includes cache, memory on the video card and the system RAM. These addresses are called MMIO addresses. There are 2^32 power available on 32-bit systems, or 4,294,967,296 bits, better known as 4096MB, or 4GB.

Windows reserves a flat quantity of these 4 billion addresses for non-RAM addresses, and takes more if needed. The remainder is given to system RAM at about 3.25GB.

32-bit Windows could address more memory, but tons of 32-bit programs would crash if Windows placed their data outside of the first 3.25GB of system memory.

Reaction score
srry to interfer but i have a big problem 2
i got 6 gb ram on my windows 7 32 bit
and the problem is tat it only uses 3 gb help pls i dnt kno wts the problem
:((((

Reaction score
i have a big problem tho with the ram i have 6 gb ram but only 3 are used
windows 7 32 bit
nvidia 275 GTX
Intel core quad Q8300 4x 2.50
6bg ram (3gb used)
so that s my problem i have 6 gb ram but only 3 gb used someone pls help i would really apreciate everyones help :(((((

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
You need to install the 64bit version of Windows to utilize all that ram. 32bit won't do it.

Nibiru2012

Quick Scotty, beam me up!
Reaction score

Ask a Question