How do I search for exact string?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
When I use the search feature I am often looking for an exact phrase so I put the search in double quotes but they seem to be ignored and words like the etc are dropped and I end up with tons of stuff I do not want. What is the proper structure for exact phrase searching?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Unfortunately there's a limitation in the current version of the forum software, so it can't search for strings :(. It can only search for words over 3 letters in length, as there is a separate database table build from a word list which the search uses.

It's not ideal, but it works well 99% of the time. Hopefully vBulletin will change to use a sphinx search solution soon (there's been talk for a while), so as soon as that is out I will move over to it.

For the time being, you should be able to search for string using the google site command. For example, google for:

"here's the text string I want" site:w7forums.com

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Once I find out a way to do this, I'll make another post here :)

Ask a Question