How can I see what drivers to update?

Reaction score
In that case Trainable man, I would like to look at my drivers if it isn't too complicated. Drivers have given me so much trouble in the past that it is possible there are some old ones floating around, I use various midi gear that usually want their own drivers.
Omg not drivers again, they are always hassling me!
Should I start a new thread or can I get a bit of info here?

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
Try DriverView 1.25, get the right one for 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64). Especially look for drivers created prior to July 2009 (Win 7 release) and search for ones more current. You can actually sort by creation date with this tool to make it easier.

WARNINGS FIRST: Updating drivers can cause issues and require you to restore your system to a prior date so it is a good idea to make system back-ups prior and to make liberal use of restore points. Also the use of programs to update your drivers may result in the same problem - I recommend them as a tool rather than a solution. When you do actually install drivers, create a restore point before each one, do them one at a time, and restart the computer after each one.

OK ...
You might try a product called Device Doctor to scan for updates.

BUT ...
This product can often find similar drivers rather than the right drivers plus it's only as good as it's database is up-tp-date, so just like Microsoft update it can suggest outdated device drivers; I don't recommend actually using it to update your system but it can give you some ideas of items to search for at the manufacturers website & if there are more current drivers then download and update them yourself.

So...
If you decide to install Device Doctor then be sure to UNSELECT the toolbar, as with many freeware programs they try to slip in a browser toolbar.

I actually used Device Doctor before and it updated two drivers successfully and then screwed up my system for a third driver (took me 45min-hour to restore in safe mode) so this is why I say only use it to suggest, not actually download and install.

Last edited:

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
One I use when trying to asist others, is the free, home edition of "whocrashed". It gives good info, including driver problems but, even better, it gives a more practical and easier way to analyse crash dumps.

TrainableMan

^ The World's First ^
Reaction score
whocrashed

Dave, are you saying this lists drivers with creation date or actually tells you which ones are outdated? And does the system actually have to crash to use it?

davehc

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
No. It analyses where the system failed and gives a report and advice on the problem. This incudes the usual BSOD debugging procedure (update drivers etc.) The questrion as to whether a driver needs up dating or not is left to the user in subsequent analyses. I assume (maybe wrongly) that if it does not identify a driver as a problem, then , although there may be an update, it may not improve anything for that particular computer.
As an extreme example (very extreme) I have one very old laptop. It is completely windows 7 compatible. However, a Nvidia graphics update some months ago caused the chip to start overheating and gave me immense problems until I pinned it down.

P.s. But reading the OP, I feel an apology is needed. This is not exactly what Jimmy banana is seeking.

Ask a Question