Home Group

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
Magoo, my memory is bad so please remind me where we are.

Comp 1...create and set up password for homegroup- done or not done?
Comp 2... joined homegroup with said password- done or not done?
Giving permissions for files to share- done?

Reaction score
All done.

Now sdmnysimon mentioned a possible firewall problem. I've has no indication that such is the case, but for discussion's sake I'm running Kapersky 2010 incorporating its firewall. Windows firewall is off.

I tried switching, turning off Kapersky firewall (but leaving the other features functional) and still couldn't share. Then I turned the Windows firewall of for the home network.

Oh, and sdmnysimon, there's another user classification and sorry to say, this is probably mr.magoo's group: idiot users. At least, that's the way IO feel most of the time I'm on this machine. :stupido2:

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I don't want to leave any stone unturned here. So back to the basics and please bear with me.

Your Belkin router connects from a cable modem. Your desktop connects to it wired. Your laptop connects to the Belkin wirelessly.

The computer that set the password for the HG is the desktop. The same password has been entered into the laptop when you asked it to join the HG.

Are your computers listed when you click on Homegroup?

Are you choosing to share by the method in my second picture? (right click folder-mouse over- and choose Homegroup (read/write).

Attachments

Reaction score
I'm not sure about the cable to modem aspect. I've had modems in all my installations, but I didn't get one with Swift Wireless, just a cable through the wall with a signal and it's connected to the router via a phone-type connector. A line from the power strip with a Motorola transformer(?) - it has a green "power" light connects into the cable before it reaches the router. again with a phone-type connector. There is a power cable for the router as well along with the ethernet cable from the router to the computer. The laptop is set up wireless as well as my printer, though I may need work on printing from the laptop.

I am set up for sharing just as you've indicated.

Hope this all makes some kind of sense.

Reaction score
I mentioned the firewalls because thats where I have had problems. your internet is dsl correct ? the other thought im thinking is wireless and wired connect with home group may not work. please someone correct me if Im wrong

Reaction score
It's not DSL that I know of. In Mariposa, I had a DSL modem, here nothing. I worked with the firewalls as indicated earlier.

As to wired and wireless, you're saying I should disconnect the ethernet cable and detect the router wirelessly, right. If that's right and that's the problem, just how do I fix it?

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
the other thought im thinking is wireless and wired connect with home group may not work. please someone correct me if Im wrong
That is incorrect in my situation. One of my homegroup computers connects with a USB wireless adapter.

Mr. Magoo, have you contacted tech help at Swift? It couldn't hurt to see if they have any suggestions.

Reaction score
Not yet, mostly because my house is a bit of a jumble from tryin' to get everything to work right when I'm not even working right. I'll give a ring in a few days.

Reaction score
Golly, I wish I wasn't so damned overwhelmed with everything. I have so much going on, I can't keep a damned thing straight and this "modern" house I live in isn't helping. I have a convention at the end of the month which I'm frantically preparing for. Hopefully, after that, I can get into a place away from this chaos next to the high school!

This having two computers is costing me more time and money than I really have. If I could get the damned things linked...

Last edited:

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I'll get back to you when I put some thoughts together.

Reaction score
Well, so much for that. Since they have over "100,000,000" users world-wide, they don't offer individual support to those who haven't purchased or are considering purchasing the business package. The free service is all there AFAICT, but I have to find a partner and enter their ID to set up remote access and I have no way that I can see of finding a partner. And though they say $749 is a bargain for their service, um....

:shot:

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
I was thinking of your laptop and your desktop as the 2 partners. It doesn't cost a dime. The problem as I see it now is that you have monitor or graphic card problems. If you could get it installed on the desktop, you wouldn't need a working monitor but your graphics needs to work. But you need your monitor or another to install it. Viscous cycle!

Can you start the damn thing in safe mode too see if you get an image on the screen?

Reaction score
Ah. If it were a bug, it would o' bit me. I just don't see the obvious any more.

Got my desktop going. FM. Look at my thread in GD (better mark that one).

OK. back to the other room.

Reaction score
Wow. It's working! One thing...

I have the IDs written down, but it calls for a session password from the partner. Any way for me not to have to jump up, run to the other room to grab a password?

What would be nice is if I could sit in front of either computer remotely w/o referencing the other.

Is that clear?

I want to mark this one solved as well, but I guess I need to fiddle some more.

Last edited:

yodap

No longer shovelling
Reaction score
What's this? Progress?:eek:

I'll tell you what I do (but don't tell any body). I use the simplest passwords allowed. For instance, maybe yyyyyyyp on one machine and pppppppy on the other. Something like that.

Start fiddlin' and practice file transfers and such. You'll get it soon enough. Let me/us know how your doing.

Don't mark it solved yet, there's time for that later'

Reaction score
Finally. I can conduct sessions with either computer w/o futzing back and forth. Thank you yodap for a great solution.

Reaction score
Thanks. Now, if I could just get this prep work done w/o getting a damned headache!

Ask a Question